Solution Found To Missing Hard Drive Space Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J8son, Jun 21, 2005.

1. J8son

J8son Corporal

A few months back I was having a problem with hard drive space still missing after large files are deleted. You can find the original thread here:

Hard Drive Space Is Gone! (posted on 4-15-05)

I was unable to resolve the issue, until now. The problem was with Norton System Works.

Let's say I delete a 2 gig file. I would check my hard drive space and notice that even though file was deleted and the Recycle Bin was empty, the drive still showed the space in use. Then, after about a week the empty space would finally (and mysteriously) appear.

If you look in Norton System Works under Utilities Options make sure Enable Protection is unchecked. This will prevent Norton System Works from retaining your discarded files even after your Recycle Bin has been cleared (it will retain these files for up to 7 days or longer).

I hope this info helps anyone who may be having a similar problem. Just thought I'd give a little back since Major Geeks has been such a big help.

Keep up the good work guys! ;)

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Problem is not with Norton SystemWorks. It has worked the way the defaults were set up when you installed the program. I have used Norton SystemWorks for years. It does keep deleted files in a protected Recycle Bin for a period after a user has deleted them. Bazza

===

3. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

I think he meant norton utility that mean when we click right mouse button at Recycle bin we will see "Norton ........ files" under "Empty Recycle Bin" we will do two above tasks to get free space.

4. J8son

J8son Corporal

Not quite sure what version your running but Norton SystemWorks 2004 Pro automatically activates the protection option apon installation. You have to manual disable it.

The option can be found in the Options/Norton Utilities/Norton Protection tab. You must UNCHECK the Enable Protection box.

Trust me. Try it. ;)

5. bigbazza

I've got an old version of SystemWorks and everything I delete goes straight into my Protected Recycle Bin. I rightclick on my Norton shortcut and select and delete all stuff from the Protected Bin every so often. No need to uncheck the Enable Protection box, IMHO. Try rightclicking in the SystemWorks menu/menus, or shortcut,and see what happens. Bazza

===

6. J8son

J8son Corporal

Yes, you are right about that. The option to "Empty Norton Protected Files" does appear on the menu when you right click the Recycle Bin. However, if you DISABLE this option you won't have to empty your Recycle Bin twice. If you delete a file once, there is really no reason you should have to delete it again.

The reason it caused me such problems is that I never knew about the Protected Files feature so I thought I might pass it along to anyone who might run into this problem while running Norton System Works.

7. bigbazza

I don't want to DISABLE the option in case I delete something that I later want to recover. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Bazza

===

8. J8son

J8son Corporal

I guess I'm not sure what the purpose of that option is since if your deleting the files in the first place you A) Are done with the files and B) Wanting to free up the hard drive space. In which case, since the files are retained by Norton and aren't actually deleted, the hard drive space remains occupied by the files. Might as well just leave them on the hard drive. Plus, Norton is going to erase them automatically (you can also customize that option as well).

Oh well. Still want to give a big thanks to everyone at Major Geeks. You provide a great service. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds