Cleaning Out The Beast

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dynamix, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Dynamix

Dynamix Private E-2

Hi all,

After having my comp for a year I have noticed a large drop in speed. I'm guessing this beast needs a good format and reinstall of everything, so here is my question,

I wish to completely clean out my computer to the state it was when i purchased it

here is how i plan to go about it, please correct any errors in my plan:

Step 1:Back up to CD-R's

Step 2: Uninstall all my programs manually and drivers etc

Step 3: Goto command prompt and type

"Format c:\ /y"

Once I have completed that and my computer restarts, how do I get windows and my drivers back on my comp?

(I have done this before but I am a little worried since the last time I did this I had a restore CD that did all the work for me)

I have the following:

-Windows XP Home Edition CD
    -MS IntelliType Pro 2.1 Mouse Software (even though my mouse is an a4 logic)
    -Intel Desktop Boards CD x 2 (D845HV and D845WN): I have no idea which board mine is, all i know is that its 845
    -Nero Burning ROM

My Geforce 2 drivers have been burnt onto a CD (41.03) is what I use. But I cant seem to find any Creative SB Live Value Drivers for my sound card.

So basically wat I am asking is, do those cds I mentioned have waht I need to restore my comp after formatting it. Are the procedures Im taking to format correct? And any tips to make this a quick easy process

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

Before yhou go and format try the following
    Run AdAware, found here
    Run APK's Reg Cleaner,Here
    That will clean out a lot of crap off your system, let me know how she runs after :)
    Also defrag the drive your OS is installed too <ie C:/>

3. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

for you drivers go to their the manufacturers site and DL the drivers from there.

4. HASSELBLAD

HASSELBLAD Sgt. Smirnoff

your OS, is it the full or upgrade version?

5. Dynamix

Dynamix Private E-2

the OS was the full version.

once i have cleaned out the hard drive do i just put the windows cd in the cd drive while the computer is loading (like a boot disk?)

6. BTY

BTY Private E-2

DO NOT FORMAT THE COMP LIKE THAT. That is very wrong.
    Just back up everything. Then unplug devices (printer, gamepads). You can keep anything else plugged in like speakers. Then you have to go into the bios and make sure you are booting from your CD drive. Then put the WINDOWS XP CD into the CD drive and reboot. When it says do you want to boot from the CD hit yes. Then follow the instructions. This gets a little complicated so if you are clueless call your tech support for a walkthrough. Can anyone else help this guy out?

7. Dynamix

Dynamix Private E-2

well with my OS im not too sure if its full

id say it would be since the people i brought it from built the comp from scratch and then installed everything

okay so the way i was doing it is wrong, okay thanks heaps for that (lucky I am still backing up at the moment so i can keep checking back here before i clean out this pc)

8. BTY

BTY Private E-2

basically all you have to do is boot up from your Windows XP CD, and follow instructions. It will format the hard drive, and re-install windows all by itself. The key is follwing the instructions correctly when you boot from the CD.
    Do you know how to go into the bios and make your computer boot from the CD? When you boot up hit f-2 to go into the BIOS
    (that's how I do it on my comp)
    Under the boot sequence option you need to make the cd-rom drive on top. Then when you put in your XP CD and reboot it will say "press any key to boot from CD".. you do that and you will start your format and reinstall.
    Then basically it will ask you some questions just make sure you do not choose to "repair" but choose to format and reinstall... why don't you try this and test it out .. if you can get to this screen i am describing but are not sure what to do just write down everything you see and cancel the reinstall and post it and i will try and help you. I can format my HD like the back of my hand.

9. Dynamix

Dynamix Private E-2

great thanks for all this!

Doesnt sound very complicataed, I'll have finished backing up shortly and I'll give it ago.

Thanks again soo much for clarifying that for me!

10. BTY

BTY Private E-2

believe me this is the way you want to format the drive.. do not do it by typing format at the DOS prompt ... just remember
    unplug devices before you re-format, and after the reformat is done and the reinstall of windows is done it will reboot your comp. It will say "press any key to boot from CD".. DO NOT hit any ket at this point -- just let it boot.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2002
  11. howie

howie Private E-2

I did mine yesterday for the frst time the way BTY described, just read and follow carefully all commands the cd gives you and it should be no problem, it took me about three hours my first time and the comps.

12. Dynamix

Dynamix Private E-2

Hi all,

Finally finished formatting and got everything reinstalled so everything on my comp is back to normal.
    how ever not everything. My modem is not being picked up by my computer.

I tried installing it manually but the computer does not have the required drivers for my modem

"Lucent Winmodem v90 56kbps"

And since I am unable to connect to the net I cannot download any updates or drivers etc.

If anyone has any hints as too how to get it back up it would be very appreciated (It is also plugged into my mother board btw)

Thanks again!

13. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

14. S.A.M

S.A.M Private E-2

Get a new modem.

These bad software models are slow

15. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

welcome to the site SAM.
    i hear ya on the modems.. those dang win modems are a pain in the butt.
    Sometimes I think external is a better solution if you have to use dialup.

16. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

eraser.sourceforge.net

If you want to get it back the way it was before... All files are still on your HD, even after reformat...

17. Dynamix

Dynamix Private E-2

i decided to haul my pc off to my vendor and they supplied me with a cd with the drivers,

everything is now A O K and back to normal

thnx heaps for the help guys! comp running fast too and some slight increases in some games!

18. todbran

todbran Private E-2

Clean out all of the programs that you dont use first. I have an XP machine too and decided to speed it up a bit. I dumped programs that i dont use and noticed a difference. Plus, i downloaded FreeRAM Pro 1.22 and Ram optimizer (you dont need both, but i figured, the more the merrier).Run disk cleanup and then Defrag and see if that doesnt help.
    You'll spend hours if you decide to reinstall XP and have to reload everything that you have downloaded.

19. brunell8

brunell8 Private E-2

OK, I tried all these same steps but now I can't get XP to load. Only thing I didn't do was disconnect everything (gamepad, printer, etc.). Could that possibly be the source of why XP won't finish setting up? You can see my post in the software forum.

20. Naz

Naz Humpaluphugus

Brun i had a problem like that, i disconnected the cable to my network card and then reloaded XPPro it loaded fine after that , not sure why but i guess it was trying to set up a network while it was installing. go figure

21. brunell8

brunell8 Private E-2

Thanks, Naz, I'll try that. Come to think, my cable modem lights were doing quite a bit of blinking while this happening. Maybe mine was trying the same thing.

22. Naz

Naz Humpaluphugus

hm let me know if it works.
    cause i have not heard of this before maybe i can write a paper on it lol

23. BTY

BTY Private E-2

oh my crap
    ofcourse you have to unplug everything before you re-install windows -EVERYTHING MUST BE UNPLUGGED EXCEPT YOUR SPEAKERS AND MOUSE AND MONITOR AND KEYBOARD OFCOURSE.

24. Naz

Naz Humpaluphugus

BTY first time i had to reinstall XP i didnt disconnect anything and it worked fine.\
    but if you say everything has to be disconnected ill take your word for it

25. Lordelin

Lordelin Sgt. Nobody

I have installed XP on a number of PCs and have never had to unplug anything. Is this on a PC from a company like Compaq or HP, or is this on a PC that was built for you or you built?

26. Naz

Naz Humpaluphugus

@lorde me? i built myself

27. Lordelin

Lordelin Sgt. Nobody

Sorry i was asking Brunell about his sys. The only times I have had probs with installing an OS from the disk was when it was on a Compaq and I wasnt using the factory disk.

Naz, 6 more posts to the magic number of 666:D

28. brunell8

brunell8 Private E-2

Lord,

It was a computer from Tiny, but I have since changed the vid card, cdrw, dvd, etc., so I guess you would say it's home built now.

29. aenima

aenima Private E-2

formatting question

is got some questions about formatting and reinstalling windows.

First, i have 2 hard drives, each 80GB. Windows is on my C:, and my F: i just use for different programs. So formatting a hard drive seems really easy if you can do it through the windows installation, but my question about my 2nd hard drive is: if i format the C: and reinstall windows, can i just format my F: through the windows 2k disk management?

Next, will formatting/reinstalling run down your hard drive at all? I always hear about hard drives wearing down and becoming slower and lowering the quality.

thanks

30. aenima

aenima Private E-2

thanks robo!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds