No Internet Access When Router is Connected?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JillK, Aug 8, 2006.

1. JillK

JillK Private E-2

Hi,
    I have a Dell 8200 Series desk top that I am trying to set up a Netgrear WGT624 Router too so that my husband can use his Dell inspiron laptop to access the web. His Laptop already has a wireless card installed in it. "Centrino"

When I first attempted this I found out my desk top had no place to attach the Ethernet cable, so first tried an external Ethernet cable. Turned out to be to much of a hassle and used up all my usb ports and wasn't able to get a connection to the Internet with this method.

So last night I installed a Netgear PCI Gigabit Adapter GA311 into the desk top, then hooked up the router etc in the correct order and after typing in the routers isp and going thru the settings I still am not able to get an Internet connection. I tried it at least 10 more times and waited the right amount of time in-between steps but still no luck.

I access the Internet thru Optiumun Onlines DSL's Motorola's box which is hooked to my desk top thur a USB port As far as I know I do not have a static isp, I can access the Internet just by turning it on so I don't believe I need a domain name etc added to the setting I tried it both ways but it made no difference.. I tried using the defult isp setting, the computers mac settings etc and this made NO different.

Optiumun online is run thru my cable company, they do not support routers but they have No problem with me setting one up to their box. I have called Netgear for support 3 times I could not understand what the man was saying all 3 times and he couldn't understand me. Very heavey accent and launguage problems. But this all leaves me with not knowing where to go from here or what to try =(

So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bunches,
    Jill

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

3. JillK

JillK Private E-2

Hi Jack,
    Thanks for your quick reply. My phone also works off of the DSL modem that is installed to my computer by the USB port. Would an external Ethernet modem work the same?

From what I have been reading it seems it is possible to hook the router up to the usb modem and for it to work but so far NO luck.

Thanks again,
    Jill

4. JillK

JillK Private E-2

Laptop hook up alone?

Hi
    Thanks again for any help. I have spent several days trying to hook up a router to my pc so that my husband could gain access to the Internet with his wireless laptop. Yesterday from here I was told that the DSL box that I have which is connected to my computer by way of USB is the problem.

So what I need to know is do I need a new DSL box that hooks to the computer thru Ethernet? Or can the box I have now some how hook to the computer thru an Ethernet.

Also big question? Is there anyway that the wireless laptop which already had a wireless card in it can gain access to the Internet without it interfering with my PC? In other words is there anything I can buy or hook up to the DSL box so I wont need to make changes to the way my PC is hooked up and runs?

Thanks again,
    Jill

5. pari22

pari22 Corporal

There are some routers that can handle usb connections. What is your router's make and model?
    And if you're asking if your PC and Laptop can access internet at the same time without any problems, the answer is yes. But you have to configure the router to work first...

6. JillK

JillK Private E-2

Hi Pari,
    Thanks for your reply. I was able to get the router successfully hooked up a few days ago. I did have to unhook the usb cable and the biggest thing wrong I was doing was not completely shutting down the DSL box for several minutes before hooking up the enthernet cables.

I ended up calling my isp provider and they said to unplug the DSL box for 4 mintues. I did just that and finally both my pc and the laptop and interent access.

Jill

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds