DirectX Initialization Failed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FED UP, Dec 30, 2007.

1. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

I recently did alot of virus cleaning on my system . Now, when i try to run Winamp's Milkdrop 2.0 visualization plug-in, it wont run. I get an error saying DirectX Initialization Failed, and that i might not have enough video memory. I have a Radeon x700 pro, no other applications running, and have used this visualization plug in almost daily for a long time . This has happened a few other times, but always ran correctly after i restarted Winamp . I have adjusted settings to the lowest possible, to no avail, and the Mildrop tutorial says that 1mb of video memory should be enough . My x700 has 256mb . I dont know whats going on, but i am assuming there is a problem with Direct X, as opposed to a video memory shortage .
    Any advice, anyone ?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

3. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

I cant get it to install.
    Ill try again.

4. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Nope. Doesnt seem to be installing. Nothing has changed .

5. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

What the error message when you try to install direct X.....

6. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

There is no error message. The installation wizard says click to install and that the process may take a while . The very INSTANT I click the install button, it IMMEDIATELY says installation complete . Taking mere nanoseconds to install Direct X doesn't seem right to me . Then, the graphics application i am trying to get running still tells me DIRECT X INITIALIZATION FAILURE .

7. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

8. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

ok, but what if I uninstall my directx, then STILL cant get it re-installed. What if the problem lies within WINAMP, and then ive got no directx ?
    maybe i should try re-installing WINAMP ?

9. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Boy, am I a genius ! LOL .
    I re-installed the plug-in, and now its working fine .
    Hmm .
    thanks for your attention !
    Ill see if it continues to function properly .

10. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Ok, wonderful.
    It stopped working again, and is now doing the same crap as before.
    :cry

11. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Ok, now i have uninstalled WINAMP and all components, and reinstalled the whole thing. Im getting the same problem still, but why would it work for a few minutes earlier, and then quit again ? I am confused .

12. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

This program : http://www.majorgeeks.com/DirectX_Happy_Uninstall_d4347.html
    would neither allow me to uninstall OR repair my DirectX .
    In order to re-install DirectX, the program told me it was necessary to rollback to a previous version, and the files need for that were not found on my computer . So i did some diagnostics, changed settings, the diagnostics could not find any problems with my directX, yet i am still unable to get my app running. Still in square one .
    :cry

13. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I've used a DirectX SDK from Microsoft to repair DirectX problems in the past. I used one that was about 90mb (if I remember correctly) but the only I can find at Microsoft are really large file, like over 400mb. I'm still looking. Go to Microsofts downloads page and look for a DirectX 9c SDK (Software Development Kit). SDK's allow for a complete reinstall of all the DX components.... but like I said, all the ones I found are HUGE. If you can find a smaller one, get it!

14. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Will do just that . Ill let you know what happens.
    thanks !

15. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Ok. Sorry for the delay.
    I re-installed directX . I still had the same problem .
    I went to the MILKDROP website, where they state that a problem with directX itself is "very very rare" . I followed the suggestion there to update my video driver, which i did and now I dont seem to be having any problems at all. I wonder why, all of a sudden, my driver would be a problem, when it never was before - and why it would only be affecting MILKDROP . . .
    :confused

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds