"AVG Uninstall Error 0x80070005" Have Virus But Cannot Uninstall/Install AVG.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wuf4Wds, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Wuf4Wds

Wuf4Wds Private E-2

I tried upgrading from the free AVG 8.5 to free AVG 9.0. During the installation phase, something failed. I dumblike presumed that 8.5 was still operating correctly and that I would figure out the 9.0 thing later. Apparently I was very wrong. I have some sort of virus(es) that are sending out emails from me that are not from me--well, not intentionally anyway.

I tried to disable AVG and while it no longer appears in the tray (with the clock), it is still running under the task manager. I cannot stop the process from running. I've tried stopping each individual AVG process and via the stop the process tree for each individual AVG process. Nothing works. The processes continue to run.

I downloaded and ran Avira. It found two programs...bumblebee and something else. While it was waiting for me to tell it to "repair," more emails came through.

I realize the virus issue should be discussed on a different forum and did start a thread. (However, my thread asked about how to stop the virus from spreading via email while I am in the midst of fixing it.)

At the very least, I need to uninstall AVG. However, it will not uninstall. I cannot install the newer version. What do I do? The AVG free support forum is a waste of time when it comes to getting assistance.

If I need to put this info with my original post on the malware forum, please let me know. Since I have so many separate but related issues, I'm not sure where I should be posting.

Thanks for the help and so sorry for all the trouble!

Oh, the error message I receive when trying to uninstall AVG is listed below. I've tried via the AVG uninstall and through Add/Remove Programs. My computer is running WindowsXP, SP2. I feel as though I am not posting correctly. Please advise.

Local machine: installation failed
    Installation:
    Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key....Error 0x80070005

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Hi there Wuf4Wds and welcome to the forums click this link http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=208809 and follow all the instructions very carefully and then be patient and the malware fighters will get to help you out, you must follow all the instructions to the book or it just causes complications during the cleanout !

Rusty ! :)

3. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Sounds like the Klez virus. If you google it, you'll find plenty of information on it as well as some removal tools, or let the Malware fighters walk you through it, especially if you have already started with them.
    Don't do both, chose one course of action at a time.
    Post back here when clean for help, if you need it, on your AVG.
    BTW, it is always better to uninstall any anti-virus before installing a new one, even if it is just an upgrade.

4. Wuf4Wds

Wuf4Wds Private E-2

Thanks to both of you! The uninstall issue with AVG was throwing me for a loop as I was not sure which to do first...AVG or the virus. It's sort of like the old "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" question. I've had other issues before and knew to follow the "read me first" guide and follow it to a "t" before posting. However, I've never had an AVG issue and emails going out with my permission before. So, I was not sure how to stay online (to get help and download the fixes), stay reasonably protected (fix AVG), and stop sending the bad emails (temp fix) while I was trying to get rid of the virus. Ugh!

What made it even scarier is that I had read all sorts of problems folks had using cccleaner to get rid of avg instead of using the uninstaller. So...I wasn't sure if I was creating more of a mess by going that route first. At any rate, since the folks who know (you all) have directed me towards the malware removal side, I will do so.

I will have to postpone working on this until tonight (have classes all afternoon). I have one more question before I go...Will the Avira somewhat protect me until the pc is cleaned or am I still in a heap of trouble?

Thanks again for your help!

5. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I wouldn't try to install any other antivirus until you get clean. You should only run one anti-v program at a time and anything you do with those right now could mess things up even more.
    I assume you're using an Outlook or Windows mail, don't open these until you are cleaned.
    Then return here for final setuip/repairs; removing viruses sometimes creates other probs.

They will instruct yo to get and run this program though.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Yahoo_Toolbar_English_d4191.html

6. Mehak

Mehak Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds