Portal crashes

Discussion in 'Software' started by Somnus, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Somnus

Somnus Private E-2

Help! Advise me if you can. :confused

After quite a few years not using my PC to play games, I decided to fall back onto an old pleasure last week.

I had recently bought a new PC with fast CPU and lots of memory. First game I tried wouldn't run 'cos there was no video card installed (lol).

So I bought a kick-*** geForce video card and then all was hunkydory. I tried out Portal (the first one) and got quite addicted to it. I was very nearly finished when it suddenly started crashing my PC.

I virus checked with Avira and it said I might be infected with a root kit. I didn't see how, but I struggled to get rid of it, multiple scans with Avira and several other progs, mostly telling me no rootkit. Avira just kept reporting "hidden objects" in the registry, invisible entries.

Finally I tried reinstalling the OS (Win 7) and I thought that would fix the problem. Scan with Avira right after and there's nothing, no virus, no rootkit, and no "hidden objects".

Install Portal, try and play, and what do you know, it's crashed in less than 1 minute.

Reinstalled OS again, reformatting C and D drives before doing so. Everything is clean as a whistle. Reinstall Portal, and guess what. Crash again. Scan with Avira and suddenly I've got like 18 "hidden objects" in the registry.

As I write I am wiping clean every goddamn partition on my hard drive and reinstalling the OS, if it doesn't work this time I guess I'll have to admit defeat and give up on Portal.

But really, any thoughts anyone? I've been driven crazy by this these last few days and have wasted so much time. Maybe I'll never get to play this damn game again, but I'd still love to know why.

2. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Have you tried running the game in XP compatibility mode and Run it as Administrator?
    To do this, Right click desktop link, go to Properties, Compatibility Tab.

If that doesn't work please post you Hardware specs.

3. Somnus

Somnus Private E-2

Actually I haven't tried that, because for like a week the game was running just fine without doing so. Using Windows 7. It just all of a sudden started crashing.

My latest attempt at reformatting the entire hard drive seemed to make no difference, which astonished and deeply disappointed me.

One thing though, when I was reinstalling the OS (Win 7), when I chose to reformat each partition, maybe I did not "refresh" each partition. Is that likely to have made a difference? What does the "refresh" function do at that part of the installation?

I'll post my specs later, I'm using another PC at work now. But really it seems I'm out of options. If I can't get it to work again with a reinstalled OS and a totally reformatted hard drive, then what gives?

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

All your drivers up to date? Are you getting drivers from the MS Update or the manufacture's site?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds