ethernet problems on linux

Discussion in 'Software' started by ironchef, Jun 2, 2004.

1. ironchef

ironchef Private E-2

Linux seems to be having a problem with my ethernet adapter. I was wondering what I should do for my linux to be able to use it...The problem is as follows...

As linux (redhat linux) is uploading before it hits its graphical interface its stalls at the part labled eth0 and says that it failed

I'm just starting with linux so I don't got no freakin' clue what to do!

:eek:

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

What version of Red Hat? Or Fedora? How old is your NIC?

Is there a DHCP server that the machine can connect to? IIRC, it defaults to DHCP, and rather than assigning a bogus address if it can't find one, it simply fails. There's some text file you have to edit to change this, but I'll be darned if I remember what it is.

Alternatelty, it could be a driver issue. Try going to your NIC manufacturer's site and getting the most recent Linux drivers. They usually have good instructions.

3. ironchef

ironchef Private E-2

The NIC is pretty damn old. I'd say at least a got 5-7 years. It belongs to Kingston when they used to make things besides just memory chips. They dont seem to have a linux driver for it only windows...

The version is redhat 9.0 btw

No servers that I can connect to...

4. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

You probably just need to configure if there's not DHCP server. Unfortunately, I only have vague memories on how to do that. Try looking for a forum or tutorial on how to cofigure ethernet interfaces in Linux.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds