Video, normal mode...botched...safe mode, fine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rogvalcox, Aug 5, 2005.

1. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Is it possible for a video card to produce perfectly fine video in safe mode...but when I try to boot into normal mode...I get the XP splash with a bunch of blue vertical lines running through it...It looks like a blue pinstripe suit!! Then it flashes a very quick bit of a BSOD, then it reboots!!

The only thing I can think of is when I changed over into my new case...unplugging the SATA hard drive...but I've never had that problem before!!

Any Ideas!!??

Roger

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'd love to know what that BSOD said. Can you turn off automatic reboot?

Just click the Windows key + Pause/Break
    or right click on my computer and select properties
    Or go to control panel and doubleclick system

Then go to the Advanced tab, the select Settings under "Startup and Recovery", next uncheck the box next to "Automatically Restart" within the System failure box.

Then make it crash and tells us what it says.

Another thing to try is perhaps some program at startup is causing you problems.

Bring up msconfig (start, run, msconfig (enter))
    Select the radial button "Selective startup" and uncheck the box next to "Load startup items". Reboot and see if you can play the video. If you can play the video then one of those startup items is causing a bsod.

Good Luck! :)

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Do you mean video as in graphical video or watch a video,as far as I know you cannot run a video in safe mode without the vid card drivers,if you mean graphical video,ofcourse it can,i'd try uninstalling your drivers using drivercleaner pro and installing the latest catalyst. :confused:

4. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Sorry about the misunderstanding...I meant video as in the graphics card!!

I'm pretty sure it isn't related to startup programs...because I have'nt added/removed anything in a long while...in fact I haven't done any kind of software alterations on the system!!

The only thing I've done is move everything (all the same parts...nothing new) over into a new case!! The only questionable thing is ...I'm not 100% sure if I put the SB Live card back into the exact same pci slot!! I was contemplating doing a repair of windows...because I did take the cpu fan off, and I reset the cmos, and I disconnected the SATA drive completely...but it is all the same parts...put back together the same way...or does that not matter!!??

I will see if I can get the BSOD information...just for the sake of research purposes!! If it is the actuall graphics card...I'm not really concerned since I just stopped by Tiger Direct and picked up a newer/better one that I had anyway!! However...I am interested in figuring out the problem just for the sake of enriching mine/your knowledge!!

If anybody has anymore thoughts...drop them off here...I'll be back in a bit to see any possible thoughts on the issue!!

Roger

5. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

I got this stop error code.....

0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF71B3865, 0xF79B62A0, 0xF79b5F9C)

According to the microsoft site..it could be related to, if you have a SB Live card w/joystick controller, and it is trying to use an XP driver...which apparently can cause some kind of conflict...so I disabled it...and I'm going to reboot, and I'll let you know if that was the issue!!

In the meantime if anyone knows anything SPECIFICALLY about the code in the parenthesies...I'm all ears!!

Roger

6. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

It was the video card....put in the new one and ...viola...it's now beautiful!!!!

Oh well....I was due for an upgrade in this area anyway!!

Thanks for the help though!!

Roger

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds