strange access problem on XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marjwyatt, May 13, 2012.

1. marjwyatt

marjwyatt Private E-2

I have an account at co.cc (mostly free registrar)

I can login to the site from my notebook running XP Professional. I cannot access the site from my desktop, which is XP Home.

Both machines are using the same router to get on the internet so, the way that I view it, it cannot be related to a router or ISP. That leads me to believe that there is some bizarre setting that is misconfigured on the desktop.

Here's what is even weirder. Using a free proxy (like hidemyass.com) from the desktop, I am unable to view co.cc . Using that same service from my laptop, I can. (!)

This is more of a puzzle than a show stopper, since I can access the registrar from my laptop but I can't even begin to imagine where/what to look for so I'm posting my plea here. :-o

This is not a block that affects all .co.cc domains because I have been using those for development and I can access them in the browser just fine.

I've ensured that my internet settings are not using a proxy. I've flushed my DNS.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolve this weird thing, or tell me what else to look for as cause?

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2012
  2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Can you ping the site?

Are you using a firewall program?

3. marjwyatt

marjwyatt Private E-2

Only Windows Firewall. There does not appear to be any granular settings there to enable access to ONE domain, which is the problem.

I did have website blocking enabled via Malwarebytes. Disabling that permitted access to the site so the mystery is now solved. I wonder why Malwarebytes would consider it to be a site it ought to block?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds