Network Cable is unplugged...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pepsipaul, Jun 28, 2005.

1. pepsipaul

pepsipaul Private E-2

Ok, i'm having problems with two computers right now. They both say Network Cable is unplugged even though it is plugged in. The drivers for the network cards are installed, and it does recognize the network card. The cables are fine, I tested them with a different computer. I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure this out, if anyone can help me, please do!

2. catbro6166

catbro6166 Corporal

Hey I had the same problem so I unplugged my modem and then plugged it back in a few seconds later and presto like some kind of magic it worked however it didnt get the first time around took a couple of times but it got it after I went in and setup the connection again through ie properties.

3. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

Maybe there's a problem with the jack! See if you can find a broken conductor etc.

4. King

King Private E-2

Yeah, the big question here is 'What are the other ends of the cables plugged into?'. Sounds like your router/hub/switch might be in an error state. Try power cycling all your network equipment and see if they don't come back online.

Hope this helps,

-K

5. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

Actually I took for granted that the pc's are connected directly!! give more detail about your setup

6. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Cable Unplugged is one of the ways Windows tells you that the computer can not
    Connect to the Network.

Cable Unplugged is a General Error Remark thta meansthta your computer can not find a network/server to conncet to. It might be the connection is not working because of a Cable, but in most case it is nothing to do with the Cable.

In order to make sure, try another cable.

If you get the same Error with another working Cable you have go carefully over all the Network settings to find out what is misconfigured, or if another piece of hardware is not functioning correctly.

Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network setting and Sharing.

Link to: Network - Installing and Sharing.

:D

7. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

Well as windows says that there is "no network cable plugged in" it can't be a settings problem, because windows would note "Network connection is not working properly"(something like that) if so...

I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem!

8. pepsipaul

pepsipaul Private E-2

I've tested the cord with different computers, there's nothing wrong with any of the connections to the computer that is having the problem. I'm using a D-Link router, nothing wrong with it because other computer on our network are connected to it with no problems. I'm an experienced PC user, so you don't have to worry about asking obvious things that I would have checked out.

9. catbro6166

catbro6166 Corporal

Just a thought did you check to ensure all services were enabled.

10. pepsipaul

pepsipaul Private E-2

I've tested everything I can think of, just to let everyone here on something, I have my own computer repair business, so I'm not a "noob" when it comes to these things, it's just this little problem I can't figure out.

11. catbro6166

catbro6166 Corporal

I am the same I build them repair them its easiest knowing every possible thing even the simplest have been tried, by the way did you try switching the cards around to different slots and reinstall them and start over.

12. King

King Private E-2

Have you tried moving around the ports in the switch/router? Plug a non-working one into a port that a working one is currently using. I've seen individual ports go bad before.

Also, did both PCs stop working at the exact same time? Was any S/W installed at that point? 2 PCs on a network going down would lead me to believe the problem isnt with the PCs themselves.

-K

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds