Static inside my computer.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gmixstudios, Nov 22, 2007.

1. gmixstudios

gmixstudios Private E-2

I have opened up the computer and fitted some ram, its now making static noises.
    What I need to know is how to remove the static?
    I have googled and all I can find is to take care when fitting to not get static, however I HAVE static and need to remove it.
    Rob

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

What you've found on google is about static electricity. You have to use caution to keep yourself grounded while installing computer parts as electrostatic discharge (ESD - what you feel when you rub your sock feet on the carpet and touch someone on the nose) can damage components. Keeping grounded removes this charge.

If your computer is making a static noise through the speakers, the first thing I would try is reinstalling the sound card. Here's how:

1. Right-click 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'
    2. On the 'Computer Management' window, click 'Device Manager'
    3. Expand 'Sound, Video and game controllers'
    4. For every item you can, right-click and select 'Uninstall'
    5. Reboot the computer

When Windows restarts, it will detect your sound card as new hardware, and will attempt to install drivers from its cache.

3. gmixstudios

gmixstudios Private E-2

Thanks for that i have done that.
    it is still doing it when it has been on for half hour or so (when warmed up)

I thought it may be a ground loop., how would i sort that?

4. n3et

n3et Private E-2

Unclear, is the noise coming from the speaker or from inside the computer?

Is it a constant high pitch almost hiss sound or more like a popping sound.

A popping sound (not from the speaker) would indicate a short somewhere inside the computer.

Did you leave some wires rubbing the internal fan?

Are all your computer and connected devices plugged into the same outlet? Sometimes one AC socket may be on the other side of a 220vac service and causes ground loops through the devices.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds