what would make it faster

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Keyser Soze, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Corporal

talking ram, right now i have 4 slots, 2X1 GB and 2x512

im taking out two of them to put in 2x2 gb sticks, now my thought was, having the larger in there to handle big loads is good but also good to have the smaller in there for quick ****, but if they wont run at dual channel im screwed

so what would be better, the 2x2 alone or with either the 2x1 or 2x512?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008
  2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you're not running a 64bit operating system, anything over 3gb is wasted (actually, it's like 3.2gb I think), so I'd just leave the RAM alone. However, if you do have a 64bit OS, then pull the 2 x 512mb sticks and replace them with the 2 x 2gb sticks. This would give you 6gb total, and as long as they're installed correctly, and the board supports dual channel (they all do these days), then you'll be rockin'...
    :-D

[dlb]

3. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Corporal

no 64 bit for me

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds