Hooking up Netgear Router to DSL Modem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JillK, Jul 11, 2006.

1. JillK

JillK Private E-2

Hi,
    Thanks so much for any help.

At the moment I have a Dell 8200 series desk top computer running windows XP my isp is Optimum Online. I have a netgear router that I want to hook up to my DSL modem so that my dell wireless laptop also using windows XP can have access to get online. I dont want to share files or anything I just want the wireless signle so the laptop can access the internet.

My main question is. In the set up directions it says to disconnect the Ethernet cable from my computer to the cable or DSL modem. So Ok there does not seem to be a Ethernet cable hooked to my computer to disconnect. My DSL box is hooked to the computer by way of a usb cable.

There is a place on the DSL modem that is for an Ethernet cable, at the moment this space is empty. So not really sure where to go from here. I did call Netgear twice but I had a very hard time understanding what the tech was telling me so I was hoping someone here maybe able to give me some clues as what I should do.

Thanks Again,
    Jill

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Power down all devices, computers, router and cable modem.

Remove the USB cable from your computer to the cable modem. You wont need this.

Install an ethernet cable from router WAN port to the ethernet port on the cable modem.

Install an ethernet cable from your computer to port 1 of the router.

After all is hooked up. In this order.....power up the cable modem and wait 35 seconds, power up the router and wait 35 seconds, then power up the pc.

After your wired connections are working, power on the laptop and see if you can connect.

After this is done you will have to tweek the router to set up some kind of wireless security.

3. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Your best bet is to attach the DSL modem to the phone jack with the standard phone cable (as it should already be), and from the DSL modem to the WAN port on the router with a standard ethernet cable. Power everything off first before connecting the cables. Power up the modem first and let it synch up (solid lights-- no flashing), then power up the router and let it finish its startup self-test. Since, out of the box the wireless portion of the router should not have any securtiy or encryption enabled, the laptop's wireless card should pick up an available wireless network called NETGEAR. The DHCP server in the router should be on by default, so the laptop's wireless card should pull an IP from it no problem.

Edit: Guess I just type too slowly.

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Heh....an echo :)

5. JillK

JillK Private E-2

:)

Hi Jim & Doug,
    Thank you both very much for your quick and helpful replies.

Jill

6. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

No problemo!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds