wireless adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bugsey Hogan, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Bugsey Hogan

Bugsey Hogan Private E-2

Sorry this is real basic,but do I need a network card or modem in the computer i want to connect wireless. router is netgear dg834g adapter is wg111. help greatly appreciated.confused

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

if you want your desktop to connect wirelessly, you need a wireless NIC in your computer. you might be better off just hardwireing it tho. connect your modem to your router, all PCs to router. if you go this route, you only need a regular NIC which costs about 20 bucks versus a wireless NIC which costs more. If you hardwire it, youll get faster speeds. hardwire youll get at least 100 mbps whereas wireless youll get a MAX of 54mbps.

3. Bugsey Hogan

Bugsey Hogan Private E-2

I would do that most of our computers are done that way,but I want to have a computer downstairs without having to run cables knocking holes in the walls etc.One other question can you connect another computer in adifferant phone socket to that of the router or can that not be done.

4. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

phone socket to router? nah you wont be able to do that. the phone jack and ethernet jack are different.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds