OS Restore Stops at 13 Minutes Left.

Discussion in 'Software' started by JayMo7, May 31, 2006.

1. JayMo7

JayMo7 Private E-2

So I was attempting to reinstall XP on my friends laptop because it was having some issues and while going thru that process it gets to the phase that says "registering components" (I think it said "components" atleast) and "13 minutes left" and just stops there.

The original problem was an issue witht he javascript but I got tired of fooling with that and wanted to do this as a last resort. These are her original restore disks that came with the laptop.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

-JayMo

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Known issue ....and don't believe any of $MS time frame for installing ....have had it sit there of over an hour ...but will finish!!

3. JayMo7

JayMo7 Private E-2

I'm hoping thats what it is. I waited and waited for it but I had things do so I left it at that and will check up with it later.

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Does the drive have an drive activity light?
    If it does, is it flashing or is there no drive activity at all when xp restore cd seems to stop responding?:eek:

5. JayMo7

JayMo7 Private E-2

Ok, TimW was right. It just took FOREVER at 13 minutes...must have been hours. Thanks guys for your input.

-JayMo7

6. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Check the cd and see if it's scratched or if it has smudges on it.

7. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Good one TimW. That's one thing I would never have suggested......but then again I would not have had the patience to let it keep going. :D

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Too many repairs and new installs that sat ...esp. on slower machines (old amd k6 - compaq's, esp).:) :) :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds