Are uninstall files infection-prone?

Discussion in 'Software' started by conceptualclarity, May 12, 2014.

1. Until recently I had Webroot as my antivirus, and it was frequently flagging uninstall files. Now Roboscan in its full scan is claiming that the uninstall.exe for VideoLAN is or is infected by a trojan horse : Gen:Trojan.Heur.P.dW5@fmvpAzm (1).

I'm skeptical. I think at the end of the scan I'll whitelist it, and then scan it with the multi-program scanners (Virus Total, Jotti, VirScan. WinMHR, etc.) and the on demand scanners in my right-click menu. Right now it appears I can't scan the file with any of those.

So far, I do like Roboscan, however. I've come to expect false positives from all security programs, but one can't do without them.

Operating System
    Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit SP3
    CPU
    Intel Pentium 4
    Northwood 0.13um Technology
    RAM
    2.00GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
    Motherboard
    Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548 (Microprocessor)
    Graphics
    Default Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
    Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Dell)
    Storage
    74GB Seagate ST380011A (ATA) 28 °C
    3GB Lexar USB Flash Drive USB Device (USB)
    119GB PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device (USB)
    Optical Drives
    SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S
    Audio
    Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
    Anti-Virus
    Roboscan

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Can't be of much help here, but I ran a full scan with avast yesterday. Well, it seems that a little program that I created during completion of the first tutorial for learning C+ turns up as some sort of virus. Yes, avast flagged "Hello World". What is the world coming to?

As for me and programming, my first program is malware...how's that for a start?

I wonder sometimes why useful files/programs get flagged, but I do think there is a methodology to the madness.

3. I am getting cynical. I suspect that false positives are an integral part of the security program business. I think that there is a deliberate intention to fool unsophisticated customers into thinking the program is really doing something fabulous.

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

LOL cc...

I admit I have asked myself similar questions many times, but after alot of thinking about things and researching the industry, I think it's more unhappy coincidences.

I think in the case of the program I made, maybe someone has used that program to cause problems. Could be the case with the uninstallers you mentioned I think too. I have seen hackers attack specific security programs. Malwarebytes has some tricks for starting the program because someone created a script that was included in malware that would keep someone from installing/running the program.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds