Cannot delete file: Cannot read from source file or disk

Discussion in 'Software' started by mongooseba, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi All,

I've a dilemma that I'm unable to resolve. There are two files in a folder that I'm not able to delete. The error message would pop-up stating "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from source file or disk." I've tried stopping the explorer.exe and delete it manually via the cmd. Unsuccessful. I believe the files do not exist in the directory. What should I do? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

* XP program

Mongooseba :-o

2. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Entered the file directory via diagnositc mode in msconfig. Cannot delete files. "Error deleting files: Cannot delete files ****. Cannot find specific file." would pop-up. I also noticed that I'm unable to boot in the safemode with F8. A boot selection would pop-up to select the CD/DVD player or C: drive. Problems?

Thanks.
    Mongooseba
    :-o

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try running chkdsk /f to see if there is an error in the filesystem that needs to be corrected.

My Computer>right click C: and select Properties>Tools tab>Check disk for errors>select both boxes and hit OK. It will ask you to restart and it will check the file system before XP boots up.

If it finds errors and corrects them then try to delete the file again.

4. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Did the chkdsk and left the computer alone for a few hours. I came back to check and the computer went to "sleep". There was not a screen that indicated any errors. Logged in and the following occurred.

1. The antivirus did not start
    2. The internet did not work - could not log on etc. Cannot access internet
    3. The bar at the bottom looked different

This happened as I tried to boot-up the computer under msconfig under safe mode as an attempt to delete these irritating files. Currently, the msconfig indicates that the computer is under normal start-up

There are a number of normal start-up icons on the lower right task bar that are also missing. Did I crash the computer? Ran Malwarebyte's and this did not inidcate any problems. Virus? Help and please advise.

Mongooseba

5. sach2

I don't understand how chkdsk could effect startup programs. In msconfig under Startup does your AntiVirus entry still have a check mark in the box?

6. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi Sach2,

I'm sorry if I confused you. I noticed the changes after I "played" around with the msconfig. I presume the chkdsk went well. I've checked the msconfig and the following were noted on the Avast Antivirus.

Start-Up Tab: Check mark present for avastUI
    Services Tab: Check mark present for avast Antivirus, status is "pending"
    Services Tab: Check mark present for avast Mail Scanner, status is "stopped"
    Services Tab: Check mark present for avast Web Scanner, status is "stopped"

Thanks.

Mongooseba

7. sach2

I'm not sure about the "pending" and "stopped" status. I have Avast on an XP computer but can't get to it right now. I will check out my msconfig and see what it normally looks like.

You have done a full reboot into normal XP mode since this startup problem began?

8. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi Sach2,

Yes, at least four times. Should I start in msconfig under selective start-up? This may have been the default prior to the problem.

Mongooseba

9. sach2

It couldn't hurt to try selective startup. I'm I'm just focusing on Avast because it could possibly effect internet and most antivirus don't let themselves be turned off very easily.

Do you have any System Restore points? Might be worth going back a day or two if one is available.

10. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi Sach2,

Aaargh! The system restore does not work. Is there a virus or god-knows-what infection? I'm trying the selective restore now.

Mongoosba

11. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi Sach2,

Cannot change to a selective start-up via msconfig. The antivirus cannot be manually started. What should I do?

Mongooseba

12. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

You could try F5 for Safe Mode, on some setups it's worked for me.

My priority would be to exclude any possibility of malware; one antimalware app and one disabled A/V are not going to detect everything out there, esp. if the bad guy runs before anything else. The Malware removal area of the forum should be your next port of call, I think.

13. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi Sach2,

Tried F5 but this did not work. Am I correct to assume that when you are in safe mode the internet and antivirus do not function. The computer could be in this mode and is not responding like it should. How do I know that the computer is in the safe mode?

Mongooseba

14. satrow

If it's in Safe Mode, you'd have to click a warning that tells you that you are about to enter Safe Mode, the Windows Desktop would be black with Safe Mode in white in all 4 corners :)

You should keep tapping the F5/F8 keys just as windows begins to boot, try it several more times, it's rare that it fails - hmm, unless you have a USB keyboard, perhaps.

15. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi Satrow,

No, my desktop is not black and do not have any warnings that the computer is in a safe mode.

I'm able to get into a display screen that asked to load from the two sources during the cold boot, but not the normal screen that allows you to select various booting options with F8.

I'm realizing the following has occurred.
    1. cannot empty recycle bin
    2. no sound during the microsoft bootup
    3. USB slots cannot accept USB stick

I'm running the SuperAntispyware now and following the instructions from the Malware section to prepare for the inevitable.

Yes, I do have a USB keyboard.
    Any suggestions?

Mongooseba

16. satrow

Best for you to concentrate on running the Malware cleanup now, ensure you follow the guide carefully and note down any problems.

Once you get the all clear, we'll then tackle any other issues you may have (it could be that your hard drive needs replacing, for instance).

17. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi Satrow,

Thanks for all your assistance. Will post this on the Malware section once I've complete all that is required for clearance.

Mucho Gracias,
    Mongooseba

18. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Problems with computer: Not booting correctly.

Hi All,

Posted my listing on Malware and TimW certified that my computer listing is clear. The following are problems I've noticed now.

1. Cannot delete two files - apparently the path is missing. Checked the disk for integrity and the results were fine
    2. Cannot access the internet
    3. Sound is diabled. Cannot access the controls - grayed out areas in the volume section under Control Panel
    4. Restore points are missing and cannot roll back
    5. Antivirus: Avast does not function. Cannot generate report
    6. Some of the USB sockets do not work and cannot recognize new USB insertions
    7. No sound during Windows boot-up
    8. Cannot access safe mode either with F8 or MSConfig
    9. Lower task bar look different and many of the start-up icons are missing

What should I do next?

Mongooseba

19. satrow

Ok, that's good news so far :)

I'd like to see the list of Windows Services that are running please, a screenshot of Task Manager of the Services tab will be fine.

20. red death68

red death68 Command Sergeant Major

21. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi Satrow,

Phew, thought that the malware was the problem. Enclosed is the jpeg file of my task manager on processes and services. Hope this is what you want. Thanks again for your time.

Mongooseba:-o

Attached Files:

22. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi Red Death68,

Tried the Unlocker. This did not work - cannot delete ******. Cannot find the specified file. Had to load on the Bing toolbar for me to load the program. How do you remove this "Bing"?

Thanks.

Mongoosba

23. red death68

red death68 Command Sergeant Major

bing toolbar should reside in the add and remove programs located at start>control panel>add or remove programs

from there just find the bing toolbar and click uninstall

ps: please but a step by step as to how u used unlocker it may have been an error is usage

24. satrow

As your malware logs seemed to show and your screenshots confirm, there's no way you can access the Internet correctly with the Services that are currently started.

The easiest way, I hope, to get your PC back to a working state is to visit the blackviper website and download the Default XP Pro SP3 zip file, When extracted, there will be a *.reg file you right-click to Merge (or edit to open and read/check), if that's successful, after a restart, your Internet should be accessible once more. If not, report back with new screenshots of the Services, please.

For reference, the default Services are listed here, as well as other suggested options.

EDIT: Just to add that resetting your Services may well fix some of your other problems with hardware devices and more ;)

25. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi Satrow,

Yipee. My internet connection is working and the lower taskbar seems normal. The sound is back and the USB connections are alive. Created a restore point and this seems to be functioning.

What should I do with the F8 - retest?
    What about the two orphan files that cannot be deleted?

You're the person.

Mongooseba:-D

26. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi Red Death68,

Yes, you're correct. Figured out how to do it.
    1. Activate "Start Unlocker" and a pop-up window will appear
    2. Select file or folder
    3. Press "OK"
    4. Select action to "Delete"
    5. Press "OK"

Thanks a bunch and all your help is most appreciated.

Mongooseba
    :-D

27. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi All,

So should I proceed with the F-8 problem about trying to boot in safe mode? Thanks.

28. satrow

:)

For the F8/Safe Mode issue, I'd check to see if you can access the BIOS on the PC (usually Del or one of the F# keys, it's sometimes written on the Boot screen - Press xxx to enter Setup). If you can get in there, check carefully for a setting for USB, probably called enable USB legacy or similar, that may enable the keyboard to function before Windows starts. If you're unsure of what setting to change, take shots with your cellphone.

If you can't enter the BIOS/Setup, it maybe that you'll need a PS2 keyboard to do that, check at the back of the PC for small (blue and green?) circular socket/s, usually just below the power supply unit.

The 'orphaned' files that you're concerned about deleting should be removable by using Unlocker, as stated earlier by red death68, try that tool again. How big are these files that can't be found or deleted, are they really that much of a problem? Can you check the Security permissions on the files via the right-click > Properties?

EDIT: I see you've fixed the file deletion issue :)

29. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

The USB sockets work now and can recognize the thumbdrives. How do I know that the Safe Mode works? The unlocker works as reommended by Real Death68. What should I do with the System Restore? Please advise.

30. satrow

Hmm, I read in #18 that you cannot get Safe Mode via MSconfig, could you post the contents of Boot.ini please, it can be opened via the Edit option in MSconfig.

Can you manually create a System Restore point?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

31. mongooseba

mongooseba Corporal

Hi Satrow,

Sorry about the long delay. Had to take care of some work. My apologies.

Yes, I can create restore points now without any problems. The previous automatically generated ones are also present.

I do not know how to edit the msconfig but was able to take a photo. Hope this works. Please advise.

Mongooseba

Attached Files:

32. satrow

No worries - except I forgot the potential fixes I had lined up for you to try ;)

Here's a registry fix for the unable to boot to Safe Mode issue for W2K and XPSP2 and 3, looks like many people have had success with it, maybe it'll clear up your problem too? Read the instructions carefully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds