Laptop Connection Trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deason, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Deason

Deason Private E-2

Recently I've had a puzzling issue come to life on my T-42 Thinkpad. I'm looking to see if anyone has had a similar problem because I am coming up empty with what I've tried and what I've tried to find online.

Here is a description of the problem:

Whenever I switch network connections, either from going into hibernation mode and physically moving from one network (wireless or wired) or if I stay on the same network (like at home) and have a wireless connection then plug in a cable from the wireless router into the laptop and disable the wireless network, Windows (XP Pro SP2) will show a connection (the tray icon shows that it is connection and will show proper IP, gateway, etc. info) but there will be no connection to the network. No browser, no ping, nothing. I've tried to repair the connections, but the only way to fix it is to reboot the laptop.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas to possibly point me towards a solution?

Thanks

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

did you try to disable the nic and reenable? sometimes just doing a repair dosnt work.
    or run an ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew in command prompt but that does the same thing as repairing it.

3. Deason

Deason Private E-2

Yea, I tried to disable and re-enable the NIC.

I've also noticed tonight as I'm poking around more that if I'm both connected to my wireless network and wired network, both connections get an IP lease from the DHCP server, but there is a conflict and I loose all internet connectivity. When I unplug or disconnect whichever device I connected to 2nd (if I disconnect the device I was connected to first, then I get nothing until I reboot), then it all goes back to normal...

Thanks for the reply.

4. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

You could try going to the command prompt and type "ipconfig /renew"

That should restart your network without restarting your computer.

5. Deason

Deason Private E-2

tried ipconfig /release & /renew many times...it does not correct the problem. It almost acts like there is a device conflict since Windows reconnects and gets valid data without throwing any errors, but there's just no connection unless and until I reboot. Quite frustrating.

6. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

You could try setting static IP's on both the wired and wireless but they should be different addresses and not in the range that you DHCP server assigns.

For example, if your router assigns addresses in the range of 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.150, then pick an unused address such as 192.168.1.50 for wired and 192.168.1.60 for wireless.

7. Deason

Deason Private E-2

That really does not help with the issue of going to other networks (work, hotspots, friends, family) where I used to be able to just pop open the lid, resume from hibernation, wait a few moments for the network to connect and be up and running with open browsers, email, etc. Having to reboot whenever I switch networks is a huge pain.

8. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

9. Deason

Deason Private E-2

I have tried assigning different metrics; it did not work.

Thanks for the suggestion.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds