Acer TM8215WLMi Realtek HD Audio problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by nelson silva, Sep 9, 2008.

1. nelson silva

nelson silva Private E-2

Ok, i recently upgraded my HD to 160GB on my Notebook, so i had to do a clean XP SP3 install...
    i installed all the upgraded the drivers from the proper sources, sometimes Acer, sometimes not...

heres the deal, when i install the realtek HD Audio driver, my computer gets extremely slow, restarts takes ages, games crash, movie and musicplay is all messed up.

before coming to this forum and posting this thread, ive tryed alot of soluttions, from majorgeeks forums and other forums from around the web...
    nothing seems to work, ive tryed both the latest drivers from realtek or the ones provided by acer! ive tryed running the install or just pointing the location of the driver!

heres what i did:

1. Uninstall the Realtek software through Add/Remove Programs
    1.a) Remove whatever is the properties tab of Legacy audio drivers
    2. Restart
    3. Run Driver Cleaner Pro(Realtek)
    4. Run CCleaner
    5. Run Registry Mechanic
    6. Restart
    7. Reinstall the "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator"( learned here )
    8. Run Regedit and change the following key
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows\CDSVersion" to 200
    9. Restart
    10. Install KB888111 Hotfix
    11. Change the reg key back to 300 and restart
    12. Install whatever Realtek drivers i can find... nothing works
    13. Im stuck in this for the past 10 days, very mad an upset, need help!!!

what im missing here?
    ill post my everest details and *.jpg file of the device manager...

Theres seems to be strange a conflict there( and its only showing after i installed the "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" , cause before i didnt show any conflict and the computer was still a mess)... now at least its a clue!

ive unistalled everything now so im back to position 1

2. nelson silva

nelson silva Private E-2

heres the pic of the device manager after step number 12

Attached Files:

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Have you tried uninstalling one of the MS Kernel Acoustic Echo Cancellers and then rebooted?

Also, have you installed your chipset driver?
    Realtek HD is installed properly, it looks like.

4. nelson silva

nelson silva Private E-2

yeah ive done that, the exclamations marks are gone, for now, but im sure they will be back after the realtek drivers are installed
    im installing the realtek drivers...but its stuck at "RTLUpd.exe To:C:\Windows" for the past 15 minutes... i dont its going anywhere... the bar is at 100% and not moving!

chipset? ive used the latest ones provided by Intel for my MB. ive also update the IDE/SATA controllers to the latest ones provided by Intel.

(i feel like smashing something here :) ).

Does this has anything to do with this being a WinXP original CD autostreamed to SP3 clean install?...
    i know SP3 has problems with UAA implementation...but in my old HD, i had XP SP2 and then upgraded to SP3 and didnt have this problems im experiencing now

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  5. nelson silva

nelson silva Private E-2

this is crazy, start ups take like 15-20 mins with realtek driver installed *.jpg i posted earlier is the same, the exclamation marks are all the same...

any suggestions?

6. nelson silva

nelson silva Private E-2

something is wrong here, it shouldnt take 20 mins to install a driver, or 20 mins to start up a Notebook.

im shooting in the dark now
    did i choose the proper Mb chipset drivers?
    Acer provides 7.2.1.1006

i used this one, seems much more recent.
    Intel provides for the 900 series...
    9.0.0.1008 -infinst_autol.exe

can i install the Acer( They are Intel anyway 7.2.1.1006
    ) ones first, then run the latest update from intel 9.0.0.1008 ?

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I don't know much about slipstreaming, so I can't really answer that.

The chipset drivers from Intel should be fine, but It's possible the ACER ones are specific to their laptops. (same with the IDE/SATA drivers)
    I haven't actually seen a problem, before with someone using the Intel driver (chipset) instead of the manufacturer one, but........

What I don't understand is this: the screenshot of Device Manager showed Realtek installed, why are you still trying to install it?
    Are you resetting the registry for the install? ( I know you said you did previously)

8. nelson silva

nelson silva Private E-2

yeah im using the intel ones, as i was using on my previous install...and it worked fine.

My problem is that when i can install the realtek drivers, those exclamation marks pop up! plus, the computer gets extremly slow!

the install itself(realtek) takes about 20-30 mins...i think thats odd!

After that, every restart takes between 15-20 mins
    and then when you open a music file, game or video,
    its full "pop" and "ip" sounds, and playback is slow and fast at the same time... the system hangs...
    with no realtek drivers the system is fine :-( runs smooth as butter.
    something is wrong here i cant find what it is and its driving me nuts....

So my guess is maybe the slipstream CD i did... its a SP0 WINXP CD with SP3 slipstreamed to it... and the HD audio driver package for XP

i did it cause for me, it was logical that SP3 had everything that SP1 and SP2 has, but from this experience...specifically SP3 not coming with the KB888111.exe update, shows that SP3 doesnt have everything... who knows what else those morons at microsoft forgot to implement...
    i shouldve haved slipstream all updates in there... SP1, SP2, SP3

im not in a mood to do another reinstall, and this is the last forum im looking for help...so my last option is to get an external Audio card...
    :-(

hope you can help me man :-(

and i also tryed the Acer chipset drivers...same problem!!!

9. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah- my guess is that SP3 isn't real happy and isn't playing well with the PC. If possible, reload Windows with an older service pack (preferably not SP0). If you have no data to save, a clean install with the older SP would be ideal. Then get all the drivers installed and get everything working, then install SP3. You can download it as an .EXE file from here.

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

The problem may be the IDE/Sata drivers (just a guess), but an IDE uninstall and reinstall, usually helps when your sound is putting out weird noises.
    Uninstall them in Device Manager and reboot. Windows will find them on startup and reinstall.

To get back to your screenshot. If you can duplicate what is shown there,
    (Realtek installed but with an extra acoustic echo canceller and and warnings on the other MS Kernel drivers), uninstall all the MS Kernel drivers, showing install problems, then reboot.
    Windows should find and reinstall them on startup.
    I am thinking there is a IRQ conflict.

If that doesn't do it, you may have to follow dlb's suggestion.

11. nelson silva

nelson silva Private E-2

ohh dammit i hate reformats... drivers, i have alot of programs :-(...
    can i like roll back to SP1 and install sp2 all over again with ms update, then reinstall SP3

ill give one more try...try the IDE uninstall thing

12. nelson silva

nelson silva Private E-2

heres the the screenshot again...
    ill unistall all of them(conflicts) and also the IDE/SATA drivers to see what´s up on next start up

all of them have code 42 conflict...

Attached Files:

13. nelson silva

nelson silva Private E-2

i did the uninstall of the IDE/SATA and the items with exclamations!
    i noticed the restart is way more faster...you can feel the difference...
    so it must be a conflict there...

Also After windows reinstalls the drivers byitself the exclamations come back

you think is a shared IRQ? how can i change that?

14. nelson silva

nelson silva Private E-2

"Realtek High Definition Audio Properties
    Location: Location 65535(Internal High Definition Audio Bus)"

1.Is this normal?

2. Also after unistalling the items with exclamations, after a while, you can say 10-15 mins you can hear a "beep", and each "beep" represents an exclamation "popping" up on the device manager

15. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I did some looking around. The info I found states that this is caused by a Bus driver, incorrectly creating the duplicates.
    Or that adevice that has a serial number is discovered in a new location without being removed from its earlier location.
    This was the fix, but I doubt if it will work.

1: When the error occurs, restart your PC.
    2: Open Device Manager, and double-click on your device to open its properties box.
    3: Here, on the General tab, click Troubleshoot to launch the Troubleshooting Wizard.
    4: Follow the instructions in this wizard to diagnose the problem with your device and then resolve it.

You could try a Repair install, before a full reformat and install.

If you have your Windows CD, you can do a Repair Install. It can be done without destroying your personal files or applications, but it is safer to back up any personal stuff to CD.

Make sure you have your valid Windows XP key.
    The whole process takes about half an hour depending on your computer.
    You may have to change your Boot Options in BIOS to get your PC to load from the disk.

1. Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
    2. Press a key when you see the Boot from CD window.
    You will see a new screen that says, “Setup is inspecting your computer’s…………….”
    After a minute or two, you'll see the "Windows Setup/Setup is starting Windows" screen.
    Finally, you will see the "Welcome to Setup" screen.
    3. To get to the Repair option you want, you must choose, "To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER."
    DO NOT choose the "To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console..." Option.
    Don’t worry nothing has been changed yet.
    4. The next screen is the Licensing screen, choose F8 to accept.
    5. The next screen searches for "a previous version of Microsoft Windows."
    Again, don’t worry, nothing has changed yet.
    6. Finally, you will come to a screen that shows your XP installation. If you have more than one, you will need to highlight the one you want to repair.
    7. You will also see, “To Repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R”
    This is the real Repair option. Press R

The Repair process then selectively deletes system files in the Windows folder and subfolders and copies undamaged replacement files from the setup CD to their proper locations. Then it works on the current setup's Registry, leaving much of it intact and rebuilding the rest. Then the repair process needs to reboot and will do so automatically. If your setup CD is still in the drive, remove it so that the system won't try to boot from it.
    It will take a bit longer to reboot this time. Then Setup will start again.
    Don’t worry, if you have followed these steps it is doing a repair only, not a re-install. You will see the same screens as a regular install.
    First you will get the Regional and Language screen, then the screen asking for your Product Key.
    Next it will do the actual Repair. When done (20-30 minutes) there will be another reboot bringing you to a “Welcome to Windows” screen.
    You'll be asked if you want to register and you may or may not be asked to reactivate the copy of Windows.
    Next, the setup completes the final networking details and then you will see a "Thank You" screen.
    There should be one more reboot (a normal one) and if you did everything correctly, all your User Accounts, Passwords, Personal Data, and software will be intact.

16. nelson silva

nelson silva Private E-2

Thank you, long post hum...

ill follow your instructions as i speak
    keeping my fingers crossed:wave

By the way, Acer provides and *.inf file for Intel AMT, but ive never managed to install it during this install...cant find anything in the device manager to update with that file!

theres also options in BIOS for iAMT

do you know what it is? ive searched in google but there is close to no information available...

but if Acer posted the driver it means i have to use it right?:confused

17. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I believe that's an optional file.

18. nelson silva

nelson silva Private E-2

humm didnt work man

but ive been doing some research... what i did
    "Slipstreaming SP3 directly to WinXP SP0" is wrong...
    alot of places saying that SP3 works best on top of SP1, preferably SP2, correct me if im wrong...

this might have created this BUS problem!

im downloading SP2
    gonna slipstream SP2 to winxpSP0
    then gonna slipstream SP3 to this new WinXPSP2 file
    then gonna try your repair thing...

19. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

The whole slipstrem thing is not part of my knowledge.
    I just update, as they come, so I'm not much help with that.
    Hope your new slipstream works.

20. nelson silva

nelson silva Private E-2

Hi, long time...

well heres the result of my experience, i bought a cheap external sound blaster live card and had the same problem.

next thing i did the repair thing, same problem.

at last, i decided to burn 2 CDS, one with SP3 and SP3+(Ryan VM SP3+)
    and one with with sp2 and sp2+(Ryan VM SP2+).

did a clean install with the sp3 one... same problem....

did a clean with sp2 one... no problem, even with the latest drivers(not the ones from ACER), the latest from INTEL and the rest... the sound works fine, there are no conflicts.... Windows is asking me to upgrade to SP3 all the time... but i dont know hehehe, after 1 month and few days without sound!

And everything works fine, except that, with external sound blaster card, if i play a game, with CPU on MAX, GPU on MAX and sound blaster ON, external HD connected and mouse, the screen turns black after 5 mins gameplay? Is this because the Notebook cant provide enough POWER?

With the RealTek i can play, but sound quality aint the same i think, but anyway i can live with it...whats you opionion on the black screen thing? i tryed to disconnect everything and leaving only the external soundcard to see if it POWER related, but still has the same problem!

waiting for opinions! and thanks for the support, i think we can blame it on SP3 slipstream, its better to install SP2 and download SP3 on top of an installation, not SP3 slipstreamed... it makes sense to be the same, but i guess for me it wasnt!

21. nelson silva

nelson silva Private E-2

aaaaahhh now i have sound, and get BSODS or blackscreens in games... is this never gonna stop... i just want peace....peace and love

please reame to *.dmp before opening

Attached Files:

22. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

From what I can figure out (and I don't have much practice at reading de-bugged dumps) the BSOD's are being caused by ati2mtag.sys.

Possibly, a reinstall of your ATI drivers might help, but I'm not that sure that will solve it.

23. nelson silva

nelson silva Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds