cookie blocking

Discussion in 'Software' started by divertissement, Dec 9, 2007.

1. divertissement

divertissement Private E-2

Some years ago there used to be a number of programs offered to trap and remove cookies. I searched for some today and found only web pages from over five years ago. Although I see in your comments on malware that you think cookies are innocuous, I'd submit that a number of companies posting those banner ads (Doubleclick, for example) and such use cookies purposely for tracking where you go and what you do.

I always allow temporary cookies, but now Microsoft, that perennial champion of privacy protection, produces web software that comes with a requirement for permanent cookies as the default and web sites don't change that. I'm running into more and more sites that won't even load unless you let them slobber persistent cookies all over your hard drive. I can't help myself; it just gravels the heck out of me to have web sites treat the computer I paid for as their personal garbage dump for any and all trash they feel the urge to deposit.

I'd like to find a software package that accepts all those @#$%^& cookies, but traps them and allows me to wipe them all clean before going on to the next site while surfing. Does anyone know of such a thing?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds