Mr

Discussion in 'Software' started by DivemasterDoug, Sep 1, 2008.

1. DivemasterDoug

DivemasterDoug Private E-2

Media Center missing Remote Desktop

To resolve audio driver issue I broke down and decided to do an overdue complete format and reinstall of the OS and apps. It's been quite the learning experience. I have run in to a curious error with remote desktop. It's missing. When I go to the control panels / system the remote tab is not there to permit me to configure remote access. Prior to the reinstall it was working fine and I installed from the OEM OS disks that came with the computer.

I downloaded the remote desktop installer from Microsoft but when I tried to install I was alerted:

"Remote Desktop Connection cannon be installed because your operating system already has a built in version. See All Programs\Accessories\Communications\Remote Desktop Connections on your start menu."​

If I go there there it is missing.

I'm sure I am just missing a setting somewhere.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  2. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

3. DivemasterDoug

I've tried that but unfortunately when I go System Properties the Remote Tab is missing.

4. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

To restore the tab, follow these steps:
    Click Start, Run and type this command:
    regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\remotepg.dll
    If you receive an error stating that the module could not be found, or stating no registration helper is registered for this file type (which indicates a corrupt DLL), extracting a new copy from XP CD should help. Make sure that you extract the updated copy of the DLL file if you have applied the XP Service Pack in your system. Register the DLL again.
    (Extract the DLL from a Slipstreamed XP CD, or copy the remotepg.dll from ServicePackFiles\i386 folder to Windows\System32 folder)
    To extract the DLL from Windows XP CD, type this in Command Prompt
    EXPAND X:\I386\REMOTEPG.DL_ -R C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
    Where X:\ is your CD-ROM drive letter. The above command assumes Windows is installed in C:\ drive. If not, change the drive letter / Path accordingly.

5. DivemasterDoug

Thanks that worked. I assume when I created the slipstream for the install I caused this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds