Beeping PC :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by missboop, Dec 14, 2009.

1. missboop

missboop Private E-2

:( Pc is developed a 'beep' !! Like this - 1 louder - long & 1 quieter short ( 2 beeps ) Is it the CPU overheating or maybe Bios or what, & what can I do. PC is -
    HP Pavilian m7580a Ha a wee search on line, did see that I could maybe download 'fix' from HP but not sure about how to do that or if I can.
    Or should I get it 'seen' to by Tech ?? Thanks for any info in advance.

2. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Hello There,

Take a look at this site, it will tell you what the beeps mean and what is wrong.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

the beeps you are describing are a video error which means either the graphics card is not sitting in its place properly or your graphics card has died. but I will require more information, does the beeps start as soon as you turn on the power to the computer

3. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Your pc has a GeForce 7600GS in it. Your board doesn't have on-board video.

This part is replaceable and is inexpensive if it is the video card.

I would say a good replacment is a GeForce 8600gt. You would get a bit of a performance increase to for video apps. This card cost about $50 US right now.

4. missboop

missboop Private E-2

Thanks for reply. No beeps not as soon as turned on, just intermittedly while on. Everything is performing OK so am at loss. Graphics seem fine. Have checked what I can, even removed fan & blew out any dust. ( not that I knew if that wuld solve it LOL ) The beeps aren't regular. May happen in succession, every few minutes over 1/2 hour the ceases & while later starts up again. Maybe needs more attention than I know how to do. I had previously checked a couple of sites that explained 'beeps'. They said Bios Or CPU.

5. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

That could be possible or it could be the battery not getting a charge if its a laptop that can cause the beeps if its a desktop it could mean the cmos battery is dead that also can cause them beeps.

but if that's not causing the problem then i'm also at a loss.

6. missboop

missboop Private E-2

Well thanks, not to sure, but went today for hours with no beeps happening, then tonight was at it again, so I think rather than take a rough guesse I will get someone who knows to sort for me. Hopefully will fix before it causes any damage.

7. Heyyou

Heyyou Private E-2

As sexyandy suggested, get a new battery and slip it in. If that's not it, that's one thing you can take off the list of possibilities and you shouldn't have to think about doing again. :)

8. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

You won't do any damage to your computer if you are just changing the battery.

Desktop - shut down computer > pull out the power lead to your computer > open side panel and you should see a watch sized battery on your mobo ( motherboard) take that out and put a new one in.

Laptop - You have to purchase a new battery take out the old one and put the new battery in its place and plug the power lead back in.

Hopefully should solve the beeps if not then you can cross it off your list amd investigate further.

Andy

9. missboop

missboop Private E-2

Thanks ! Seems this very likely to be the problem. All help appreciated. About to do a battery check as most who hear beeps seem to think as you do :)

10. Heyyou

Heyyou Private E-2

Your *beeping* welcome. :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds