Real One

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikeo56, Jan 7, 2004.

1. mikeo56

mikeo56 Private E-2

I just used an instructional disc which required the installation of Real One. Now Real One has set itself as the defalt player. Is there anyway to reconfigure this so that Real One still works for the instructional disc but Windows Media Player is the default player? Thanks, Mike.

2. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

It depends ...

Depends. Yes, if the file type the instructional disc uses is different from the file types you want WMP to play. No, if they're the same type. You can't have type X files play in Real when you're using the instructional disc BUT play in WMP when you're NOT using the instructional disc.

Assuming you understand that already (and *of course* you do!), all you have to do is open WMP, go to Tools in the menu bar, choose Options, then choose the File Types tab, and check the file types you want WMP to play by default, leaving the OTHER file type (the one the instructional disc uses) unchecked. OK your way out and close WMP. Reboot, because you're changing a registry setting, and the machine will have to have a fresh check of the registry to activate your choices. That'll kick WMP back into the default player track, and leave the OTHER file type for Real to manage.

That'll do 'er.

Let us know, eh?

3. Freddy

Freddy Sergeant

I never liked real audio, so don't have it installed. Its very persistent and intrusive. Sounds like a promo arrangement tho. What happens if you make WMP the default after installing the instructional software? I mean a player is a player.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

To this end I have taken to using Real Alternative which utilises and old version of WMP6.something to playback Real Media files.... works well and is a hell of a lot less intrusive as RMP ;)

5. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

What if a site on the net says that you need Real One to play them?

6. acejones

acejones A Different Title

i agree with freddy. i can't stand real(insert crappy software name here)...so when i come upon anything that needs realpoo, then i pass on it and go to the next site. its not worth having.

7. zimpal

zimpal Private First Class

For media files with standard extensions like .avi, .mpg, etc I find it easier to use the player to open the file rather than having the file open the player. Otherwise you must reconfigure the file associations to set the default player you want.

8. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Just to show you what I dork I can really be, I love RealPlayer :) Either RealPlayer or Windows Media Player should have options that let you setup what it plays by default. One way would be to reinstall Real Player and this time when it gets to where it asks you what Real should be the deafult player for, you can uncheck the ones you want Windows Media Player to use. Problem is you went right past it and allowed it to change your settings.

9. murphy2003

murphy2003 Private First Class

I dont think you are a dork and by the look of your Avatar wouldnt say so anyway.I use Real Alternative and like it, :)

10. Major Attitude

Was looking at that today, I might add that as well, seems like the geek version of Real Player. I have to do a few things, but will take a look at it later. Thanks!

11. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

I found a link for that alternative real player and even downloaded the file
    but I am a little aprehensive about installing it. I could not find a link for it on any reputable site. Any link I found kept directing me to a site that I am not to sure about.

It sure would be great to have that program checked and verifed :)

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I have been using Real Alt for a while like I said in my post earlier with no problems... it utilizes as the player WMP 6.3 and has imbeded the RM codecs

This is the link I use

or I you want PM me an email addy and I will send you the file I installed

ps. you can also get a Quicktime alternative too ;)

13. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Glad to hear that. I will install it then

Thanks Halo :)

Sorry I missed your earlier post

14. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Just downloaded the new real player and it works a treat. It also has many Plug-ins that you can add so that you can record to a portable player/Phone ETC

15. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Just curious did you mean the alternative real player?

Thanks
    :)

16. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

17. Major Attitude

Keep in mind if you read comments elsewhere, as I have, that its a pack dog mentality, one says it sucks and is bloatware and 20 more morons follow suit. Odds are none of these people have run RealPlayer in a year or 3 and have no clue what the new one is like. Frankly, ill take it over Windows Media Player any day myself.

18. Freddy

Freddy Sergeant

Maybe is because people take issue with the corporation, not just the software. After all - persistent, stealthy and buggy installation of software that call's home, sets itself as the default player. Software can be fixed. Trust must be earned.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds