Problem viewing page.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dioxane, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Dioxane

Dioxane Private E-2

I've tried to get to the MajorGeeks.com website but I can never see it. I allways have to use Google's website cache to look at here but I can't do anything else. I've tried all I could think of for it to work and nothing. Any other computer I can go to the site and it's fine.... I think this computer is cursed. It's given me so many problems ='( If anyone can help... please... do. I really want to get this to work right so I can download files from here to help my PC.

Thank you.

2. videogurl

videogurl Corporal

did you try saving it in your favorites?

3. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Try going (in IE, I assume) to Tools -> Internet Options, and delete Temporary Internet Files, including Offline Content. Then type http://www.majorgeeks.com into your URL line and see if it comes up.

4. majiktouch

majiktouch Private E-2

I have just tried to get to the main site www.majorgeeks.com and could not. All I get is cannot find server. I had no problem getting to the forums, but still can't get to the downloads et all.

5. Dioxane

Dioxane Private E-2

In IE explorer, I don't have the tools, some spyware had removed it.... so thats out. I'm not the only one?

6. videogurl

videogurl Corporal

windows update sounds good

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

:rolleyes:

Try this. Can you get to majorgeeks homepage now?

http://67.19.72.100/

8. majiktouch

majiktouch Private E-2

I have run ad-aware. spybot, antivir xp, and ie6 update sp1. This is getting anoying. I think I have narrowed it to tvm.exe in the running processes, and tv media in the startups, but I can't seem to get rid of the darn thing!

9. Dioxane

Dioxane Private E-2

The IP address worked, I'm able to see the site. Thank you very much. As for the clearing my temp and cache I'll try that tomorow. Last year of high school starts tomorow... I'm so not used to the goign to bed at 9..

Thanks again for helping me get to view the website, and those who tried.

10. majiktouch

majiktouch Private E-2

Adrynalyne, thank you. I have been ignoring my computer today, to clear my head of the frustration and was rereading this thread. I missed it the first time thru. Why is it that that works when nothing else did?

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

To both of you:

Your hosts file is probably hijacked.

Here is what it looks like, by default:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

I would be surprised if you two have extra entries, from spyware. Of course, it could be a DNS problem.

The file, hosts, is located in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

You can use notepad it open and edit it. If you find a bunch of crap in it, i would remove it, and then save it. Set the file as read only so this can't happen again.

12. majiktouch

majiktouch Private E-2

Ok, the hosts file has a ton of crap in it, looks like all the sites I couldn't get to as well as a bunch of other help sites. There is a SAM file lmhosts that looks like what you have as an example but with a lot more stuff. the SAM file is a different color than the other files too. What in this folder(...etc) do I need? What should I delete??

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No need to delete anything. Just worry about the hosts (only says hosts, nothing else) file.
    make it model the one I posted.

Let me know if it works out.

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sam is a different color?

Like, blue text? if so, its compressed with ntfs compression, which is fine.

15. majiktouch

majiktouch Private E-2

I did, and all my favorites work again. Thank you very much!

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Glad to help :)

17. majiktouch

majiktouch Private E-2

I still have the tvm.exe and tv media problem, the trial version of Pest Patrol found a lot, but trailware doesn't remove stuff. I can't really afford pest patrol atm, do you know of another freeware program that detects and removes these?

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds