32?64?ahhhh!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ST47, Jun 9, 2006.

1. ST47

ST47 Private First Class

guys. im stupid. but you're smart. so ill ask: how do you know if you have a 32-bit or 64-bit computer?
    you probably wanna know that this computer is an intel pentium D 2.8ghz dual core leet thingy :p

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. ST47

ST47 Private First Class

so i want the 64 bit version of vista - kk ty

4. DavidGP

Be warned tho, x64 Vista "may" not have all the drivers at present for your PC hardware, you maybe lucky.... going for x86 ( 32bit ) you would have a better chance of full driver compatability.

Apart from a lack of sound driver, I found the x64 version of Vista ok, but dont be suprised if most of your favoured software wont work with 64bit.... I do hope you are not using a daily used PC, but if so you are either dual booting or prepared for a re-install? ( do please backup all your important docs and files etc )

Once downloaded the large ISO... burn to DVD using a slow speed or no more than x2, if you burn at full rate of your burner you are likely to have problems at the copy files part of the install of Vista.

5. ST47

ST47 Private First Class

yeah - ok thanks - so i can cancel the big d/l now :p
    but:
    the iso thingy wont work :( i have the cd recording wizard though open - ill go hunt down a dvd version

a dvdRW should work, right?

6. ST47

ST47 Private First Class

disregard - using nero on the main computer to transfer - ill let you know if theres any issues - i told it to burn at 1X but it says its at 2.4x - i dont think it should be a problem though - 15 minutes or so

7. DavidGP

Yes a DVDRW is fine ( I use them on occasion as I'm not fussed with the lenght of the install time at present ), will install slower than a regular DVDR.. so be perpaired for a 45min+ install.

Should be fine with x2.4 speed.

8. ST47

ST47 Private First Class

orly? hmm didnt know that

no worries though

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds