Won't recognize blank disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frybo30, Jun 22, 2006.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Suddenly, my HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA 4164B combo drive won't recognize blank CD or DVD disks of any description. It recognizes both audio and data disks and I can open and use these. But when I put in a blank disk in order to burn something, I get a message "D:\ is not accessible; incorrect function." If I try to burn something anyway, the burner says to put in a blank disk. Please help. Thank you.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

CDROM diagnostics are pretty cut and dry. You either have a problem with your motherboard (future problems in other areas will show up, but unlikely), a bad cable (be sure all cables are secure), or incompatible with the media (if you used the CD's before, thats also unlikely). I suppose your CDROM might have a problem suddenly being recognized correctly. You could remove the cdrom under control panel\ system\hardware\device manager and select uninstall next to your cdrom, reboot and it will be auto detected. Now see if problem continues.

Finally, worst case scenario, can you borrow a CDROM drive to verify your drive is bad? A 2 minute swap would tell you if your CD drive is bad. Otherwise your in the 50-100 dollar range to buy one to find out.

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

4. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Thanks for your replies. Nothing seemed to be helping, so I finally called Dell Support. I usually go to MajorGeeks first with my problems because you folks are so quick and helpful. Dell decided that a piece of software I had installed for burning MP3s (my lite edition of Sonic won't burns MP3s) was conflicting with the software already installed on XP for burning. Don't know if that's right or not, but I uninstalled the new software, then re-installed and things seem to be okay now.

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds