Who is sending me E-mail ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by christ, Mar 20, 2008.

1. christ

christ Private E-2

witch program do i need to check "who is sending me E-mail"??

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

What email client do you use? On what operating system?

3. christ

christ Private E-2

XP is her operating system.

it is for an friend, her husband left her and the kids.
    but he is sending her E-mails quoting : i am oke don't worry.

She needs to know at what location he is.

4. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Do you mean to find out where he is? If so I don't think its traceable. Maybe by his email provider if there is a court order to do so and that would be a general location.

5. christ

christ Private E-2

its possible too find out, by the ip adress.
    Every computer has an original IP adress, so, i need an programm to translate the ip data into data. you know !

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

But, as Jerkyking said, "that would be a general location."

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Exactly and also depending on what email provider is used the location you will hit with an IP of sender is the email server of the company, sadly for us mear mortals this is not an easy task to trace an email location of sending, the ISP or Gov agencies can.

I did a trace of an IP from an email of a friend and I gained the location of Bradford, which is 200miles from their actual location but is the location of her ISPs base.

IP addresses while unique are unless static ones, possibly used by many customers of an ISP ( they at times bind many to same one ) and again may only hit the servers of the company. Does she have the IP of the sender from the email header? if so use the trace that Muskysnipe posted above or this one http://www.dnsstuff.com/ and paste the IP address in the IP Information box.

If your friend is fearful of her husbands safety its best to check if her ISP can trace ( they may not without police intervention ) or report him missing to authorities and see if they can trace.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Those IP sites haven't pinpointed me yet. A few put me in different states! They are next to useless to see where someone is located.

10. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Most computers Lease IP faddresses or a period of time by their Internet Providers. That lease could be good for a week for DSL & Cable but Dial up connections change everytime. That is why the best you can do is narrow the location to a general area.

11. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

As has already been stated here it is not possible to find out someone's home address in the UK via a isp address without a court order and even then it can still be a challenge as to who it is at the other end of the computer. If you suspect that someone is being held against there will then the police will act for you in most other cases you will need a court order which can be made through your lawyer

12. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Open the e-mail ..go to file / properties / details ...you will see the isp that it is coming from ..contact them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds