netgear wireless network issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lmasraff, Sep 24, 2004.

1. lmasraff

lmasraff Private E-2

I just recently installed Netgear's WGT634U wireless router in my home, and I connected it to a Dell laptop running Windows 2000. It is connected to a cable modem, and my ISP is Roadrunner.

Now, the laptop that is directly connected to the router works fine. I installed a Netgear WG511T wireless card in another laptop that is running Windows 2000, and it also works fine.

HOWEVER, the desktop that I have in my kid's room is an old Gateway running Windows 98 SE. I connected a Netgear WG121 wireless USB 2.0 adapter to the desktop. I am able to see the other computers on the network, and I am able to see the shared printer and print to it. The problem is that the internet (I'm on IE 6.0) will not work!! I always get the standard 'server not found or dns error' message.

The desktop is the one that was originally configured and connected to Roadrunner. I tried to put in this MAC address in the router to see if that mattered, but it didn't. And I really didn't expect it to since the other computers DO work.

I tried re-installing Roadrunner on it, but Roadrunner can't ping its own servers, so it won't install, which makes sense since I obviously can't connect to the internet.

I've been reading about Windows ICS, but the literature I've read says that only needs to be on the host PC, so I don't think that's the issue, and, again, the other PCs do connect. I read some here about checking DNS settings on the router, but once again I don't think that makes sense since the other PCs work.

Any advice?? I've uninstalled and re-installed a number of times. I've added and removed my TCP/IP protocals and adapters several times. I've basically tried all I can think of.

Is there something special that needs to be done for Windows 98??!!

Help! I'm going crazy!!

2. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

Check your browser settings, make sure there is no proxy or anything set up. Try pinging an internet address from the computer using command

ping www.google.com

If you get a response you know its a browser issue.

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Put the desktop near the router to make sure that there is solid Wireless Connection and then check the configuration.

Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network Settings, and Sharing.

Link to: Windows Network - Installing & Sharing.

:cool:

4. SolarCloud

SolarCloud Private E-2

Hey! I have a friend who uses that router, I think...If you open it (you know, the interface for the router), it should have two options for how you want to connect (one of them is computer-to-computer, ad-hoc)...if this is the hardware I think it is. You click on the choice that is not selected, don't apply it, then click on the choice that you formerly had. Apply it. I'm not certain why, but this has consistently worked every time for her...
    ...sorry if it doesn't work for you as well!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds