All my file sizes now say uhc inbetween them

Discussion in 'Software' started by RedheadOne, Jul 18, 2010.

1. RedheadOne

RedheadOne Private E-2

Hi guys, wondering if you could help me, my files all seem to be saying for example 2uhc25 MB or 1uhc23 MB and in the case of my C drive 5uhc25 GB.

How do i get it to go back into its correct format of 2.25 MB or 5.25 GB, any help would be appreciated as i've been browsing all night and keep getting threads about Universal Health Care which are no help at all.

Am i right in thinking it could be the Universal Host Controller.

Im running Windows XP service pack 2

Many Thanks

Red One

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

How long has this been the case? Why are you not updated to SP3?

Never heard of this, can you perform a system restore to before this happened?

What security software are you using? Have you run any scans?

See thread;

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

This gives instructions for malware scan/removal.

3. RedheadOne

RedheadOne Private E-2

Just noticed it earlier, I've upgraded to SP3 now and have run malwarebytes anti malware which found nothing.

Im using VIPRE and have ran a scan which found nothing as well.

Just having a look at the other thread you mentioned and i'll let you know how i get on, but i have a funny feeling its not malware

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

And I happen to agree with you.

Try going to folder options in the control and click on restore defaults in each of the tabs. :confused:confused

5. RedheadOne

RedheadOne Private E-2

Restored all defaults and the problems still there, its now affecting my database i run cause its putting uhc between figures and the db cant read the string.

This is really frustrating, cant find out much about it either from the net.

Does anyone have anymore ideas?

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Honestly, I had a slightly similar problem a few years ago... my folders were being deleted and "moved" to the Desktop (though they were now empty, destroying my data!).

Come to find out, it was a worm hidden in the BOOT SECTOR of the hard drive (not visible to Windows or virus scanners). I had to do a complete low level format of the drive in order to rid myself of the nasty. I had all of my important files backed up already, so I didn't lose out on too much.

I hope this isn't the case for you, but if nothing else works, you might want to back up your data (and ensure it's all clean) and then completely format the drive.

7. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

Any way to scan for hidden worms, assuming the 'hidden' isn't so hidden and there would be a way to 'catch' the 'worm'?

8. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

As I said, the worm I had was on the boot sector, which isn't visible to Windows (thus anything ran IN Windows won't see it, either). The only way I figured out what it was, was by Googling the issue. I never "detected" the actual worm on my drive, only a full low level format got rid of it. AV scanners found copies of the worm in other parts of the drive, and I had to get a special cleaner for that particular worm to get it off of those parts, but the low level format was the only way to get it off the boot sector.

Worms NOT in the boot sector are detected by most AV scanners.

To this day, I still don't know how that thing got on my system, but I was sure glad to be rid of it!

9. RedheadOne

RedheadOne Private E-2

Still struggling with it, didn't want to format but am going to have to now, thanks for all the replies and i'll let you know if clears up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds