XP won't restart in safe mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by pepperdonkey, Mar 18, 2005.

1. pepperdonkey

pepperdonkey Private E-2

I am running Windows XP Pro, 512 ram with a 1.4 GHz processor, and am trying to restart in safe mode. When I hit F8 and get to the screen NONE of the safe modes selected restart correctly. The only mode I can use is "start normally". All of the safe mode selections go through the driver files, screen goes black, then the computer restarts and goes back to the safe mode selections screen.

I had this happen before when I had a bunch of different issues killing my computer (thank you spyware!) and I was trying to get into safe mode to see if I could solve some of my problems. I couldn't. I ended up reformatting and starting from scratch. Like I said earlier, everything is running fine now (from what I have seen so far), except this safe mode problem. Not sure if it matters but I am on SP2, no additional firewall besides the one from SP2, and Notron antivirus, Microsoft's Spyware program and a bunch of other spyware programs.

ANY IDEAS???

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Is all your hardware compatible with XP?

Check on the Micro$$oft site for compatibility.

If so, the only real option left apart from a format is perhaps the Recovery Console.

3. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Please provide a complete list of your system specs, including all external peripherals (if there are any). More correct info = less guessing and better analysis.

4. pepperdonkey

pepperdonkey Private E-2

SUMMARY......
    OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer Gateway
    System Model N0CPP074
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 4 AuthenticAMD ~1400 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0AAWVP09, 7/20/2001
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 90.18 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 1.10 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

As far as peripherals....
    HP Laser Jet 1100
    HP Photosmart 7660
    Zire 71 PDA cradle
    Memorex DVD drive/burner...
    2 hard drive installed, a 10GB and a 80GB, Win XP on the smaller one. Some programs are installed on one drive, some on the other, but all Win XP is on C:
    Not sure what else you need.

5. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

This is pretty good info, for now at least.
    Before going into any deep analysis, I want to point out that you have 3 external devices:
    2 printers and a PDA (cradle)
    Now, it is not very common that an external device would interfere with the Safe Mode boot process, however, I'd suggest you unplug all external devices. Just have the keyboard, mouse, PC power cord and the video(monitor) cable plugged in, then try to boot in to Safe Mode and let's see what happens...
    This may not mean much depending on the services and process in use but on a idling system with no programs running, you have too much of the physical RAM in use, but let's hold off on that for now.

6. pepperdonkey

pepperdonkey Private E-2

Regarding hardware compatability, I don't think that is my problem because I was fine before the "meltdown"..... UNLESS it is a new problem caused by SP2.
    Is there a simple way for me to tell if I have a compatab ility issue? I looked at the Microsoft site and didn't find anything right off....

7. pepperdonkey

pepperdonkey Private E-2

OK, I unplugged the input cables for the 3 peripherals from the previous post and that did not work. While I was doing that, I realized that I should probably add that I have an nVidia GeForce mx400 (or something like that) video card, which gave me some problems before when I switched to SP2. It wouldn't work at first and I had to disable the on board video through the devioce manager, then it worked fine. Not sure if that is related to this or not.

8. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

lol...yeah that crossed my mind but didn't know about the fact that you actually had an onboard video.
    Well, that is a valid possibility and could be the cause.
    You could try removing the Video card drivers, then shutting down the system, remove the power cord then remove the video card itself. Upon boot, go into BIOS and re-enable the onboard card, save settings and let it reboot. afterwards, see if you can boot in safe mode but I am not sure if all that is worth it because after you find out that it is the Video card then what would be the next suitable step for you....?

9. pepperdonkey

pepperdonkey Private E-2

I have a really big hammer in the garage.... that might work! I don't need safe mode right now, but it bothers me that I can't get there... Part of your reply made me think
    "go into BIOS and re-enable the onboard card"
    I never went into BIOS to disable the onboard video, I did it through DEVICE MANAGER by disabling the hardware. Could that be causing a problem?

10. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Oh Lord have mercy....lol...why did I even assume that you did disable it in BIOS?
    Yes, you ALWAYS disable and onboard (integrated) components using BIOS configuration!
    BIOS would NOT know what was disabled in Operating System since BIOS would be have no connection with the OS at any time. OS would and could see the BIOS configuration and use its settings but not the other way around.
    So...YES, do disable the onboard video in BIOS if you are using another add-in Video card...

11. pepperdonkey

pepperdonkey Private E-2

:confused:
    Weeeeelllllllllll, I went into my BIOS, and the ONLY video adjustment available is to choose between AGP or PCI interface for the video hardware at startup. It is set to PCI, and the nVidia card is a PCI card, so I don't know what to do from there.... BUT, the BIOS is from 2000 or 2001. Maybe I should try upgrading my BIOS? Never done that before (obviously) so I do not know how difficult or risky it is.

12. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Are you sure your video card is PCI?

Unless you didn't have an AGP slot and specifically required a PCI video card, it would more than likely be AGP.

I'd also leave the Bios flashing alone, at least for now anyway.

13. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Hi pepper, if you do have an integrated video card (an onboard video) then you should have a setting in the BIOS where it would allow you to enable/disable it as well, you have to check the 'Advanced Chipset Features' or the 'Integrated Peripherals' section and try to locate the related setting.
    Worst case scenario, refer to the mobo's manual (if you don't have one check the manufacturer's website using the model #).

Updating the BIOS would not give you more features, at least this particular one so there is no need for a BIOS update at the moment.

Make sure that you have an onboard Video and also make certain you take out the add-in video card, regardless of its BUS type (PCI - AGP) to test the problem.

14. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

I have xp home, and something kind of like this…..I have a ms keyboard and ms optical mouse, the one with red lights…when the computer would start, and I would try and use F8 to start in safe mode, it didn’t work… the lights in both the keyboard and mouse, weren’t on…so pushing either didn’t work…and I could not get to safe mode….it was that way for a month…..then I tried using a trogan checking program, and using Hijack this, to find the line idem, then used the search page, to find the Trojan’s and delete them…did a reboot, and for the first time in a month, I got to safe mode……..wobbles

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds