Problems with PCI devices on a new (used) computer..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zoomoo, Mar 14, 2006.

1. zoomoo

zoomoo Private E-2

Hello.

I just got an used computer.. After installing windows and plugging in my D-link wireless card (to a PCI slot) and setting it up I notice that the connection with the router hardly works. Everything looks fine as in that windows recognizes the device, but the connection doesn't really work.. I might be able to load a web page now and then but this is more of a random occurrence.
    If this would've been the only problem I would've just blamed some mysterious compatibility issue.. But the thing is my sound card behaves the same way. Sound comes out but in short bursts mixed with garbled sound so that listening to music is impossible. The problems seems similar as with the D-link device.
    So it would seem that the problem is the PCI itself! As this is a used computer (I rescued it from my family, it wasn't working at the time) it is a possibility that the motherboard is just screwed up and I should get on with it and buy a real, working, new computer like all the cool guys. But before I do this I'd like to know if there could be some hope in all this. Any things that I could try? Oh, if it's any help, the motherboard is MSI KT6 Delta with some 1800Mhz processor attached.

J

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Most likely on the Wifi part, you are getting limited connectivity, due to it is possible that the antenna is not clear to get good Line of Sight to the Router. As for the sound card, it can either be a defective sound card, bad plug, or possible IRQ conflict.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds