USB devices - Data invalid error

Discussion in 'Software' started by knickers71uk, Jun 20, 2008.

1. knickers71uk

knickers71uk Private E-2

I have a problem when I am installing USB devices in that I keep getting an error saying 'hardware did not install correctly data invalid'. I havent always had this problem it seemed to happen after I installed a 15 in 1 card reader. The card reader installed fine, its just seemed to start happening after that.

I have tried to install a USB keyboard and my camera phone, also USB and get the same error message.

I found this microsoft fix for the problem. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810882

It didn't work.

I have also tried changing the permission (in the registry)to 'full control' which seems to be another suggestion for the problem. That did not work either.

I also tried this (which was also a suggested thing to try):

but it said this:

I had someone double check I did it right but still no joy.

I tried this

didn't work.

I am running a compaq pressario 6000 XP home, SP 3, 2.4 ghtz with 2 gigs ddr ram with two HD's and the recovery seems to be on a partition D. Just want to point out that its not a service pack 3 problem, as it happened when I was on service pack 2 as well. I just upgraded to SP3 in the hope it might fix the problem,

Whilst investigating this problem I also discovered something else. I had an exclamation mark against 'general purpose USB driver (adildr.sys)'. On further investigation I worked out that this was linked to an old Sagem modem that I used to have, that for some reason I never un-installed. So I un-installed it.

However I still have the error against 'general purpose USB driver (adildr.sys)'.

Its says :
    As I no longer have the modem and I have un-installed it, I dont know whether or not disabling it will cause me any probelms? I am not sure whether this error is related to the 'data invalid' error, or just something different entirely.

So I am really stuck, there must be some way of fixing this stupid error without me throwing my PC at the wall lol.

Was hoping that someone might have an idea that I havent tried yet.

Also I really want to avoid a reinstall of the OS as I have 2 hardrives, and I havent got a clue how to install the 2nd HD, and I cant afford to lose any data on the 2nd hardrive,it has all my photography on it, and I can't plug in an external HD to back it up as they are all run on USB!! The tech guy I spoke to said he couldnt guarantee that a reinstall wouldnt do that *gulp*.

Any help will be greatly received.

2. knickers71uk

knickers71uk Private E-2

Just wanted to say this has been solved now using the following fix

Thanks to Aitrusskyy from techguy.org

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds