PC won't power off and connects to the internet on its own

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rancher, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Rancher

Rancher Private E-2

Problems: INTERNET: The computer restarts on its own, and then connects to the internet. Our only solution has been to unplug the phone cord... not a good solution since another computer also uses this jack. Also it always attempts to connect to the internet once turned on without any prompting

POWER: The hard drive does not shut down when I do a Start, Shutdown
    It also does not shut down after I set the power options to Turn off in x minutes

I have ran thru House Call, avg, Spybot, WinClean. Spykiller says there are 29 infected files and wants me to purchase their "solution" for $39. There are a ton of programs out there, but which one can fix my problem?
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Anyone had this dilemma? How do you fix it?
    Rancher

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Do you have a file in C:\windows\debug called dcpromo.log?

This really sounds like more than one virus.

Sasser will try to abort system shutdowns.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Along with attempting to stop shutdown/reboots, Sasser can and does have other nasties piggyback in with it.

4. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

First, download a trian version of Sophos Anti-Virus (www.sophos.com)
    This will tell you what viruses you have infected in your system, but may not fix them. Once you know what viruses are infested in your system, go to the Symantec Security Response website (www.sarc.com) and download the appropriate free removal tools. There are removal tools for nearly every virus out there, Sasser being one of them.
    2nd, after you think you have that done, than download the following:

Spybot S&D 1.3
    Ad-aware
    CW Shredder
    HijackThis!

Run each one in SAFE mode (after installing of course) to remove any spyware or adware. If you are not very savvy with computersk, you may seriously want to have a pro do this for you, it can also be very time consuming.

5. Rancher

Rancher Private E-2

Sasser was not found when I ran a scan. Running Sophos now. Also, when the computer first comes up, the screen is distorted.. this even happens when I try going to some of the antivirus sites. I tried to go to the HijackThis download, and it would not display the site. This is my kids computer, so I am thinking it needs lots of clean up. Is there any cleanup utilities you would recommend to improve its operating efficiency?

6. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

7. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

If it were me, I'd save all your documents and do a format and reinstall of Windows. Probably the fastest way to solve the problem. :) Or, if this is somehow a hardware issue, it will help determine that.

8. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Through my experiences, the free AV's aren't very reliable. That is why I recommended Sophos, because they offer a free trial, they are in the business of virus protection and can be trusted as far as software goes. Sophos has found items Symantec has no documentation about as well.

As far as "cleanup", what do you mean? Programs? Spyware?

9. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Formatting and reinstalling can be a long and lengthy process, better for advanced users. I do not suggest this unless all else fails.

Some of the programs I listed may solve the "cleanup" issue you spoke of.

The Trend Micro site is a good idea, I don't see it finding anything that Sophos would not however, Trend Micro has lots of good information however.

10. Rancher

Rancher Private E-2

I already did Housecall and AVG, they found nothing... so I am trying Sophos. I don't like the idea of reformatting the HD... that seems to be my daughter's solution for everything.... plus, then I loose all the hours I have spent on my horrible vacation getting updates and installing security programs. I'll keep unplugging the phone cord before I do that.

Cleaning, I am talking about cleaning up utilities... I am a novice, but follow directions well. It seems to me that I am not operating at optimum levels...and, for example, when I first turn on the computer (a HP) the first HP screen is distorted, and then the next screen that is the Windows ME screen is distorted. Once it gets past those two, it is okay, but periodically I'll get distortion on the screen. I don't think it is the monitor because on most pages it is clean looking.

I am at 25% on the Sophos. This takes so darned long. So after I get any virus detections and I go to Symantec, where do I go from there? I was at their website and there are alot menu options.

Thanks.

11. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

"Through my experiences, the free AV's aren't very reliable."

Yeah, but AVG is not really freeware. Grisoft markets their anti-virus program to corporate entities. Their free version is just a stripped down edition of their full featured program. I think most people here will recommend AVG over Symantec and McAfee since it is more comprehensive and isn't as intrusive.

12. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

13. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Sometimes one could spend many more hours removing virus and nasties, and end up missing misc. files that could not be cleaned.

Sometimes is faster to just whipe the HDD and start over with a fresh install.

If this PC is running XP? dont forget to turn off system restore, to clean out all the bugs.

14. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I have to disagree. AVG and Avast!, which I use, are are first-rate AVs. Also, what's he supposed to do when the trial runs out? It's a temporary solution to a long term problem. BTW, I've got as any features in my free Avast! as I did in my $49 Norton AV, And less virus problems to boot.

15. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Different folks, different strokes. :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds