Anyone Tried The Epsom Salt Bath?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

OMG, this stuff is addictive. I am hooked on bath salts!:-D The Magnesium Sulfate kind, not the crazy drug stuff.

Starting my second week of soaking myself in hot water and this stuff. Jeez, I get out so dang relaxed... It is wonderful. They say Magnesium is Mother Nature's muscle relaxer, I believe it.

I started with the little quart sized box, went to the Rite Aide today and got the 6# bag for like $5, should last me 2, 3 months.

I think I am getting some arthritis in my hands, pain is gone. I can get my game on with no pain.

If you have pain, give it a shot. Not a miracle cure, but cheap, non narcotic, and I have not seen any side effects from it. Grab a glass of wine, crank up some tunes and soak a bit. :cool

2. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Ever since we were kids! Every pulled muscle, sprained ankle, sports injury...mom would haul out the Epsom salts and in we'd go. It also helped take some of the itch away from chicken pox (cool water instead of hot), and was soothing for sunburn. :-D

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

:-D Would post more, but think you get it.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yup. Used to do it after martial arts classes, the only way I could move the next day ;)

5. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

We have a spa and filled with hot water with a handful of epsom salts, a few drops of lavender essential oil plus if you have a bit of a cold a couple drops of tea tree oil (great antiseptic) too and a half hour soak = nirvana ;):cool

6. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

7. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

I love epsom salts. I was recommeded some over a year ago. Depends where you get it from, but some types make the water feel "silky" like stepping into a bath full of feathers. It does help with general aches and pains, but I suspect I have fybromyalgia or something similar. (Random pains all over my body for about three years now)

I'm sorry to hear your hands are hurting Fred, I do hope it isn't arthritus. I hate getting older. :(

8. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

I never have as I am and always will be a shower girl. Bathtubs gross me out.

9. Kestrel13!

When ya run the shower over you after you've had a good soak it's usually okay. :) But I know what ya sayin.

Us sufferers have to have a lie down soak as opposed to a stand up. :-D

10. dyamond

I agree it is a lot easier to suffer laying down than standing up. Still the thought of soaking in the tub.. *shudder*

(the older I get, I can't decide if I'm just being more cautious or if I'm becoming more of a germaphobe :-D )

11. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

That's why I always shower before I get in the tub, so I'm already clean. Of course, having a separate shower and tub probably helps a lot, too.

12. Kestrel13!

Sorry Fred, your epsom salt thread has been turned into the great bathroom debate roflmao

13. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Well, you can can always just soak your feet in a tub of hot water and Epsom Salts if you want, lol.;)
    Yep, good stuff,. We used to use it often in the U.K. I still need it, with all my achey-breaky bones. I have some natural Ginger concoction that also seems to work well. Epsom Salts plays a part in influencing the sodium balance in muscle tissue as well, A.F.A.I.K.

14. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Yes to Epson Salt Soaks!:)
    At my house I am the only one using the bathtub as everyone else showers, tub and shower are separate, and I am the one cleaning it after each use so I know there is nothing gross in it, at my house at least. BUT I would NEVER use a hotel tub. YUCK!!!
    As Kestrel13 said you can always shower after the soak.

15. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I have used bath salts, not sure if they are epsom salts or not. I should try them though. I have a separate bath tub that no one uses but me and I don't mind sitting in my own dirt. :-D

Relieving aches and pains sounds great. I have them from playing golf.

16. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Will have to find some tea tree oil.

17. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Can be readily found on ebay and I use Naked Press brand as it is very pure and comes in a really strong aluminium container http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170686739421?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 and you can buy a smaller or larger sized container. I usually buy the 1kg size and divide it up amongst my brothers and sisters families. If I buy a 25ml bottle from the chemist it costs about A$15 but for 1litre it is about A$96 and then split five ways works out at about A$20 each for 200mls plus I get a great aluminium container :-D
    Tea Tree oil is also great when you have a bad cold and are all blocked up. Grab a bowl of boiling water and add one or two drops of Tea Tree oil then breathe the vapour.
    Tea Tree oil is totally natural and kills bacterial, fungal and viral infections so this makes it a good choice for a safe antiseptic for external use.

It is also really good for removing sticky labels ;)

18. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I use Lysol Kitchen Cleaner with bleach to clean the tub. Use soap to clean me in the shower. I live alone, so no community tub. If it is dirty, I have not cleaned it. :-D

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Bah, getting older is better than the alternative. ;) Been dealing with pain for 30 years now or so, damn, I am getting old. Just excited when I find something inexpensive, and non prescription/narcotic to help with pain.

I have not even taken regular aspirin this week, and felt better than last week while taking the higher dosage aspirin with caffeine that I took last week.

It was so hot today at work, my legs were sweating, gonna take a shower before I soak. :yum

20. Kestrel13!

:-D our water bills are all gonna be huge...

21. Anon-9aee479f8f

Epson Salt is suppose to be good for you outdoor plants. So for those who are conserving water you could use the Epson Salt bath water to water your plants. Just saying..... lol:-D:-D

22. Kestrel13!

That's bound to gross Dyamond out... LOL

23. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

24. Anon-9aee479f8f

No worse than talking about fertilizer I bet.;)

25. dyamond

Soaking in your own filth > talking fertilizer any day ( as long as I don't have to touch it LOL )

and yes, it does gross me out!

26. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You shower first if you are nasty, then marinate. :-D

27. Kestrel13!

roflmao roflmao

28. Anon-9aee479f8f

As for germs and filth this is truly gross....I just read that cell phones are one of the most germ covered things we touch.:p Not only touch but put next to your face. :eek Going to clean mine right now!

29. Kestrel13!

Can openers, coffee machines and food blenders too. Horrific what you can find in those! :eek

30. dyamond

Too much effort to do both. :-D

I wipe mine off with a cleaning cloth every time I use it. I'm OCD like that :-D

(Sorry Fred, we (I) kinda hijacked your thread LOL)

31. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

And I thought I was lazy. :-D If you have a specific muscle that is sore, you can mix the Epsom Salt in warm water and use a rag to soak the area.

As long as it is not in a technical forum, thread hijacking is usually fun.

32. dyamond

I work my butt off at work & other places so when I get home that's my lazy time. Take a shower and then a bath? ain't nobody got time fo that! :-D:-D

33. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I make time for it. Our AC got zapped last week, been hot as hades at work. Been rough. I actually got a heat rash, never had one before, and hope I never do again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds