Lsass.exe failed initialization recover

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jimmy Fats, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Jimmy Fats

Jimmy Fats Private E-2

Ok everybody here goes.

I have searched 73.8% of the entire internet on this subject to no avail.

This is what I have.

Toshiba Satellite A45
    Windows XP Home sp3
    Mobile Intel P4 2.8GHz
    Password set to login on startup.

4 days ago I acquired an anti-virus spyware program. I have dealt with this type of program before and they are very difficult to remove. This one was one of the bad ones. I could not get to Task Manager to end the process, or the malware program.
    I have Partition Commander Pro installed.
    So knowing how to get rid of this type of spyware, I shut down my computer to restart in Partition Commander recovery mode and upon restarting I now get the
    "lsass.exe failed to initialze properly click OK to terminate."
    prompt,
    which leads to the black screen with the mouse cursor.

Now I realize this spyware attacks the lsass.exe program (vulnerabilty),
    and that program lies in the "System32" folder.
    I have tried to replace the lsass.exe file from a back up of the "System32" folder I have but get the same results.
    I have tried deleting the lsass.exe program and the start up is the same just without the failed prompt.
    Is there some other files I can try to delete to trick the comp into thinking it doesn't require a login?

Now if I replace the entire backup of the System32 folder, the computer starts normally but it is an older copy so it acts like a System Restore point, and most of my current programs, shortcuts, icons, folders, do not appear in the menus.

So between the current System32 folder and the backup folder which of the files do I need to transfer to keep all of my current settings,etc, and which files do I need to transfer for the lsass.exe program to function properly?
    By moving the old lsass.exe and lsasrv.dll files to the current System32 folder it does not work. But replacing the entire System32 folder with the old backup the computer works.
    Right now my option is to move folder by folder from the current folder to the old working start up,
    and see which file is causing the error. Which involves over 2000 files.

Does anybody have any ideas other than a Mac or a complete destructive wipe of XP.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Linux?

Just kidding. :-D

If you are certain that you are disinfected (and please do be certain, to avoid wasting your and your supporters' time; it is usually protocol to have a problem like this run through the Malware Removal Guide), then I might advise running the System File Checker with the /scannow switch to verify the integrity of your system files.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds