Mozilla Firefox

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bam65, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Bam65

Bam65 Private E-2

I can't install the Mozilla Firefox browser on my computer. It downloaded okay from what I saw but when I go to install it gives me an error right after I click next the last time. Here's the error message: 1157: Could not load c:\ns_temp\xpcom.ns\bin\xpistub.dll, then after I click okay to take the message off and it says it's preparing to install it just sits there. My thought was it had something to do with Windows XP? I run 98 still so I'm not sure if maybe that's the problem or not. Does it work with 98? Can anyone explain this?

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

do a custom install and don't install (uncheck) the feedback component.

3. Aurelius

Aurelius Private First Class

Do as Kodo says. No problem with 98. :)

4. barnburner

barnburner Private First Class

Win98 is no problem with Firefox. I have had it running on 2 computers for several months Win98, and WinXP.

5. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

Absolutely no problems with Win98SE here. A lot better than IE for sure. :cool: :)

6. Bam65

Bam65 Private E-2

I did that and I'm still getting the same error message while the install just sits there after I click okay.

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

make sure that you're downloading the file to your c: drive and not doing an install from the web. So actually download the file to a folder and run the installation from there.

8. barnburner

barnburner Private First Class

You have probably already done so - but, if not - disable your antivirus program before installing Firefox.
    Sometimes running Antivirus programs can foul up installations of some programs.

9. Bam65

Bam65 Private E-2

I downloaded it to the desktop and installed from there. My anti-virus shouldn't be a problem either because it was off.

10. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

and.. did it work?

11. smokinbls

smokinbls the title thing is overrated

here is my situation i downloaded firefox just fine when i go to launch it the screan goes black then i get 2 windows
    1st reads c:\docume~1\owner\desktop\firefo~1.exe

2nd one reads 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem ( this is in blue on top )
    inside of the box c:\docume~1\owner\desktop\firefo~1.exe
    The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
    chose close tp terminate the application

I did not do a custom install using windows xp home norton anti virus
    do i have to dissable my anti virus? would this help? or would a custom work better?

12. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Try downloading it again, it sounds like the install got corrupted to me.

13. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

14. smokinbls

smokinbls the title thing is overrated

thank you for the help, kodo and goldfish. :)
    this time it worked.

15. Bam65

Bam65 Private E-2

It did not work. Still getting the same error message and it won't install.

16. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

I didn't have any problem installing, but the program crashes to desktop everytime I try to download something. Any idea's?

17. Bam65

Bam65 Private E-2

Any other suggestions? I'm tired of crappy IE but apparently Mozilla isn't any better since it won't even install.

18. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

What about regular Mozilla? Don't install the Mail & Newgroups if you don't want it.

19. Bam65

Bam65 Private E-2

What do you mean regular Mozilla? The 1.7 version? I was going to ty that next.

20. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Try the Zipped version. There's no installer. Just unzip it and run firefox.exe.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds