Missing Programs in Add/Remove Programs After XP Home Upgrade

Discussion in 'Software' started by bper, Jan 12, 2007.

1. bper

bper Corporal

Hello,

I've just upgraded an old Win ME system with a PIII 800 MHz processor, 128 M Ram to XP Home. After doing so, I noticed that many of the programs that were on the Add/Remove Programs List are no longer there. I also notice that I can't install or uninstall ZoneAlarm Free because TrueVector is said to be running.

I don't understand why TrueVector would be running if ZoneAlarm is 'not installed'. If I end the task and try to install or uninstall ZA, I'm still not successful.

When booting the system, there appears to be a lot of disk activity - like if there is a virus scan taking place at boot up. Norton System Works was installed previously, but I don't see it in the Add/Remove Programs list or the Start Programs List.

I've done the Malware Scans, as documented in the Malware Forums,and run HJT which currently shows no signs of malware. So I'm wondering if there are some known issues with upgrading from ME to XP Home that would cause this kind of strange behavior.

Can you offer any other suggestions to try to resolve this issue? The virtual memory is reported to be too low. It's set at 384 M.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bper

2. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

To change the virtual memory (paging file size)

-control panel
    -system
    -Advanced
    -Performance - settings
    -Advanced
    -Virtual memory - change
    -custom size

I would just set the initial and the maximum to the recommended size
    listed near the bottom of the box (mine is 1150)
    depends on how large your hard drive is as to how much you want to hand over

-set

-Ok
    -Ok
    -Ok

64MB of RAM is the bare minimum needed to run windows XP
    128MB of RAM is the minimum recommended by windows XP
    256MB of RAM or more will make a huge difference

I dont really see what this would have to do with your programs acting up though
    Your best bet would be to back up all of your data, settings etc
    and reformat your hard drive to achieve a clean instal of Windows XP

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Format, with no troubleshooting.

Thats the poster's choice, but now he we work here. Thats a last resort.

If you don't know how to fix the issue, please wait for someone who might to answer.

My first question:

What IS listed in add/remove programs?

4. bper

bper Corporal

Thanks for both of your responses and yes, the reformat would be the last resort.

The listed installed pgms:
    Adobe Reader 6.0
    Art Explosion Greeting Card Factory
    Attune 2.3.2
    HijackThis 1.99.1
    HP RecordNow
    i-LEAEN My Dell PC
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
    Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Disc 2
    Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Small Business
    Sunbelt CounterSpy
    WebFldrs XP

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Are ytou wanting to recover these applications?

If so, you are going to need to uninstall this upgrade.

Then, go through the XP setup again, and this time pay very careful attention to the compatibility report(not to say you didnt before).

Make sure no AV or firewall is installed.

It may still not work, but its your only chance.

6. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

I migrated from ME to XP SP2 Pro (upgrade disc) last year with no problems
    the only thing I found was that it was still using the FAT32 file system

So I reformatted just to have a cleaner instal (it only uses the ME disc to verify that you have it)
    and to switch over to the NTFS file system

which from what I've read since, NTFS isnt going to have much bearing on my computer anyway

7. bper

bper Corporal

The only program from the list that I'd want to recover that I can't easily re-install is the Office Suite. That wasn't on the compatability list. ZA, I remember, was on the list.

Should I try to uninstall/re-install XP?

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If it were me, yes, I would.

9. bper

bper Corporal

If it were you, how would you uninstall if there is no remove in add/remove?

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

11. bper

bper Corporal

No, I did not convert to NTFS.

12. bper

bper Corporal

Hi,

Just wanted to update this thread to let everyone know that I had cloned my drive before performing the initial XP upgrade. I went back to the point before the upgrade, removed all things "Norton", un-installed AVG, then performed the upgrade and everything is now fine.

Everything is how I would expect it to be, all of my programs are visible, and the problems seem to be resolved.

Thanks for everyone's assistance, especially Adrynalyne.

BPer

13. clas

clas Private E-2

I can't seem to locate the information I had seen on how to remove/delete the ever elusive SBC Self Support Tool. Won't let me delete from the folder and is invisable in the control panel list? What's with that?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds