Config/SYSTEM file is missing or corrupt!

Discussion in 'Software' started by KickMe, Apr 8, 2007.

1. KickMe

KickMe Private E-2

I just encountered another problem!

I was in safe mode trying to fix the PC, and then it restarted, and now everytime I try to start it up, it says,

The file Windows...../config/SYSTEM is missing or corrupt and it says I have to repair Windows, using the disk.

I booted with disk again, and went to repair, and this time, there were two options, to repair, partition 1 and another one, which had a file size of 8MB.

This is so confusing and annoying! *sigh*

What should I do?

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

When installing WinXP and you're at the place where it shows the hard drive(s) and the various partitions and the partition sizes, it should show which partition contains Windows (usually C: and usually the largest in size). Obviously, 8MB is not nearly large enough to hold a Windows installation, so choose the other partition; it should show that Windows is already on it. Just be sure you choose the Repair option, and if at any point you're asked about formatting, STOP! Don't format the drive or you'll lose everything on it! Just choose Repair and replace the current operating system and you should be OK. Check this link for info on how repair your problem without reloading Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us
    GOOD LUCK!

hopperdave2000

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds