DNS cache

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Apr 29, 2007.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I'm trying to view the contents of my DNS cache.
    MS Help is not much help but it does come back with:

Ipconfig
    Displays all current TCP/IP network configuration values and refreshes Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and Domain Name System (DNS) settings. Used without parameters, ipconfig displays the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway for all adapters.

and

/displaydns
    Displays the contents of the DNS client resolver cache, which includes both entries preloaded from the local Hosts file and any recently obtained resource records for name queries resolved by the computer. The DNS Client service uses this information to resolve frequently queried names quickly, before querying its configured DNS servers.

I type in ipconfig /displaydns from Start-->Run.
    Black box screen flashes for an instant and is gone.:cry

I type in Start-->Run--->cmd and then ipconfig / displaydns, which is probably the correct way to do it.;)
    Error message comes back as:
    "Could not display the DNS Resolver cache":cry

Can anyone assist as I would like to be able to view ny DNS cache, daily, so I can build up a HOSTS file?
    Apparently the DNS cache is cleared every time you close down Windows.:(

Does the DNS cache have priority over Prefetch entries? or vice versa?confused

Bazza

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Prefetch is for apps only, dns is for resolving hostnames to ip's. Hope that helps a bit.

3. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Thanks Colemanguy
    So prefetch is not what I am looking for .:cool

and Cat_w_9_lives.
    I am using XP Pro with SP2.:)

I have just read the Remarks, as you suggested, but I think they only apply to Networked PC's.
    I am on a standalone laptop, so I am still confused.and still looking for ways to find, and access, the DNS cache.

Anyone able to assist further? or do I have to feed them in one at a time through the link in my post at http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=124890 :(

The link is http://www.hcidata.info/host2ip.cgi

Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds