Engine error - Unable to init shader system

Discussion in 'Software' started by superfallingdowngirl, Aug 18, 2009.

1. superfallingdowngirl

superfallingdowngirl Private First Class

I recently installed a Matrox Millenium G550 graphics card so i could play the game, Vampire - The Masquerade - Bloodlines on my PC (running XP Professional). It seemed to install fine but when I try to run the game I get the error message, "Engine error - Unable to init shader system" and the game won't run. Any ideas?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Its very likely as that card is a DirectX8 based one that and reading the specs on it, its missing the DirectX9c Pixel Shaders,

What you could try is to make sure you have DirectX9.0c and your Graphic Cards drivers are latest available.

3. superfallingdowngirl

Thanks Halo, I tried installing DirectX9.0c but I accidentally unzipped the files to my deskto pwhere they seem to be replicating infinitely! I cannot clear my desktop! Any tips?

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

As I stated in your other post, I don't think that graphics card will run your game
    To find the Directx files to move to a new location from your desktop, try using Windows Explorer and 'view by date'.

5. superfallingdowngirl

Thanks Satrow, I know you said it wouldn't work but you can't fault a girl for trying.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds