Two questions from Linux newbie

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tempest1000, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

Hi! A little bit of background to my silly questions. I got Ubuntu (finally) installed Tuesday and I have a pretty good command of most of the functions and such.

But the default music player, Banshee is being a pain. So my first question is does anyone have an recommendations for a new music player? Something that makes it easy to add CD's (I have a large collection), will allow me to add music I've gotten from YouTube and won't keep cutting out when I ask it to do more than one thing at a time. Like walk and breathe at the same time. ;)

And the second question is how do I get Banshee to automatically add the information from my CD's? It did it with my Nickelback CD but not with any of the others that Windows Media Player picked up almost right away. Any information would be fantastic, thank you!

2. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

What version of Ubuntu did you install, and what version of Banshee do you have running?

There was a problem with cddb and MusicBrainz interaction with Banshee that could be the issue.

Do you mean saved playlists? There is an extension for YT in Preferences. If you downloaded the songs from YT, that is illegal and not allowed on Majorgeeks.

;)

3. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

Yeah, the playlists thingies. Well. I did before my hard drive melted. It's Ubuntu 11.10 and Banshee 2.2.1.

Yeah, I understand about that being illegal. :) MusicBrainz?

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

Tempest1000, sadly the bug for cd lookup seems to be unsolved. The Orange Side does not show any solution for Banshee either.:-o

I used sound-juicer to rip my CD to mp3 when I was using Ubuntu. I use Pandora currently with Pithos as after moving all CDs are in storage.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install sound-juicer
    You also may want to look at Gmusicbrowser, or if you have space to install KDE libraries, Amarok.

5. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

It's asking for the [sudo] password and won't let me type.

Is Amarok any good?

And that's okay. I'm used to having problems with my computers.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  6. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

its a security thing for the password, its your user password and its not 'seen' when you type it - but it is typed,

i use kde which has amarok as its default audio player but i use clementine instead as i find it easier,
    clementine is based on an older version of amarok,

just a note - cd ripping is illegal here in good old blighty ;)

7. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

It's funny, considering I bought them all fair and square. *headshake* The laws of countries don't really make sense sometimes.

8. BoredOutOfMyMind

9. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

not stepping on BOOMM's knowledge but instead of installing kde it may just save a little time installing kubuntu,
    its ubuntu with kde

http://www.kubuntu.org/

10. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

Hm, that's an idea.

Yeah, I'm working on adding the desktop thing now. I have dial-up though, so we'll see.

11. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

if you have dial up then it maybe worth looking in your local paper shop/newsagent for a linux magazine,
    sometimes they have a free o/s disk stuck to the front, i got a few this way

12. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

Got another media related question. Does anyone know how to get MPlayer to read DVDs? I've got the right library and the whole kit and kaboodle, but it won't work. Any ideas what to do or how to get the terminal to do anything for it?

13. BoredOutOfMyMind

Google Search for "Ubuntu Restricted Formats"

14. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

have a look for w32codecs and libdvdcss2 in your software manager, if they are there then install them

15. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

Okay, got the MPlayer running, thank you, Bored out of my mind!

I'm appearently hopeless with Linux, but how do you install a .bin file on Ubuntu? I tried compressing it into a .zip file, but that didn't work and my coding is... well, an amateur would be better at it than I am.

16. BoredOutOfMyMind

Tempest100, you are not hopeless. We were all new once!

Link for directions.

If you can install from Synaptic instead of outside sources, you will have the advantage of also installing any dependancies needed to install/run the file.

17. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

All right, it's telling me "/home/user/file.bin: ERROR: cannot open `/home/user/file.bin' (No such file or directory)" I tried giving it the name of the file, but it tells me the same thing. The side that BOMM gave me said this might be a cd-image (BIN/CUE) file. You'll have to forgive me if I'm being dense. I just got out of math class at this moment. XD

18. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

ok, a bin file is also an image file, a bit like an iso,

to open the image bin file you need brasero/k3b/gnomebaker or something similar,
    these are disk burning programs,

what size is your file ?

19. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

just thought, you didn't actually type

/home/user/file.bin

user is your usename

file.bin is the full name of the file with .bin at the end,

and there is an easier way, a lot easier,
    but that will depend on what size the bin file is

20. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

Oh... Didn't know that about the username. Like I said, not good at coding.

The file size is 15.7

21. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

hopefully thats in kilobytes,

an example

the bin file is called runme.bin and located in your downloads directory and your username is tempest,

replace file /path/file.bin from the link BOOMM posted

for

file /home/tempest/downloads/runme.bin

and it should show as executable,

this is a media server script i have, i have posted this to show how it should (roughly) look in a terminal (i have used a shell script as an example)

Code:
    [dave@Mandriva ~]$ file /home/dave/Documents/pms-linux-1.50.0/PMS.sh
    /home/dave/Documents/pms-linux-1.50.0/PMS.sh: a /bin/sh script text executable
    [dave@Mandriva ~]$ 

everything is case sensitive and has no spaces, ie hyphens and periods used,
    the dollar sign means the 'file' command has been run as a normal user,

if your file has executable then it needs to be executable for it to run

so the command would be chmod +x path/to/file.bin,
    to make my media server executable

Code:
    [dave@Mandriva ~]$ chmod +x /home/dave/Documents/pms-linux-1.50.0/PMS.sh
    [dave@Mandriva ~]$ 

OR - you can just right click on the bin file and choose properties, then permissions and tick the executable box,

then you need to run the file, just type in the full path

Code:
    [dave@Mandriva ~]$ /home/dave/Documents/pms-linux-1.50.0/PMS.sh

OR - just double click the bin file

hope this makes sense

22. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

just had a thought though,

is this a program ?
    if it is, isn't it in your software manager ?

running bin files and shell scripts from unknown sources is a good way to get infected and you are helping by making it executable,

contrary to popular belief linux can get infected by running programs from unknown sources,

a good rule of thumb is always install from the respective software manager

23. BoredOutOfMyMind

What exactly are you trying to install?:confused

What are the permissions/ownership of the file.

Code:
    cd /home/directory where file is located

chmod +x file.bin

24. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

15.7 is megabytes. Sorry, I wasn't thinking when I posted that.

It's an installation file for Java for Linux. I tried to do something similar with Adobe Flash and I had to tell it I was using Windows and IE to get it to where I could use it.

And a friend of mine has a little desktop buddy (My Little Pony of all things) and sent me on for Transformers. That's what the Java script is for and that's why I'm slowly going bald. Thank you for all the help.

"~$ file /home/Melanie/Downloads/jre-6u30-linux-i586.bin" - That's what it gives me when I try yours, Hawklord.

"bash: cd: /home/Melanie/Downloads/jre-6u30-linux-i586.bin: No such file or directory" and that's yours BOMM.

I've allowed it to be executable, the ownership says its me...

I'm not sure what else to do.

25. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

doesn't it show anything ? even when you press enter after you have typed it ?

type this in a terminal

is your java file listed

and have a look at this link

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/linux_install.xml#install

don't bother with the rpm instructions as thats for redhat based systems

26. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

"chmod: cannot access `jre-6u30-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory" that's what happened when I entered it and pressed enter.

It told me "is: command not found". I tried it without the "is" but it said "chmod: cannot access `jre-6u30-linux-i586.bin': No such file or directory"

I think I'm about done. :(

27. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  28. BoredOutOfMyMind

deleted duplicate posting.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  29. BoredOutOfMyMind

30. BoredOutOfMyMind

Code:
    cd /home/Melanie/Downloads/
    cd space not colon /home/Melanie/Downloads/

Then take the next steps from links Hawklord posted.

31. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

The involved process worked because I think the writer for the article had people like me in mind when he/she/it wrote it. :p

Okay, so, followed along, feeling good about it... until it said that the file was corrupted. I'm not entirely sure where to find it to replace it with the one from the Java site.

Oh, and I did have a space instead of the colon, but the Terminal put the colon in there for some reason.

Maybe it wanted to be a real boy. ;)

32. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

33. BoredOutOfMyMind

Ubuntu/Debian removed real Java due to licensing. You have to do it via java.com now.

34. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

didn't know that - and that explains icedtea in the other thread,
    thanks

35. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

Oh... Is that why I couldn't find it in there?

36. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

that would be a really good reason why you can't find it,
    but there is an open source version of java called icedtea, which is in your repo's

in the version of linux i use, both closed source and open source are available in the repo's

37. BoredOutOfMyMind

One of these links tells how to remove icedtea when installing java. I am almost certain I used this script to get java working here. I have the script in my /Downloads folder.

Tempest1000- if icedtea allows you to play with the game, then that would be the path of least resistance.

38. Tempest1000

Tempest1000 Private E-2

All right, thank you! I'll be sure to try that tomorrow. I've got to go where there's highspeed internet to do my math homework anyway. I'll get it installed then.

39. c0wb0y

c0wb0y Private E-2

i like audacious

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds