Outlook 2007 preview problems with Excel.

Discussion in 'Software' started by motc7, May 22, 2009.

1. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

I have a user, and it happens to me too, when we preview an attachment that is an Excel file, it launches a separate Excel window, then places the spreadsheet back into the email preview area, but still leaves up a blank Excel window.

What I have noticed is that in processes, it is launching a separate instance of excel.exe. However, if we preview other Office attachments, I do not see their processes at all. i.e. Winword.exe, PPT.exe, etc.

I cannot find anything on the net to explain why this is happening only with Excel. Help!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I Have the same happen to me as I get alot of Excel attachemnts in work, I've put it down to when you open the attachment from within Outlook your opening the viewer but also the main app opens too, to be able to show the file, when the viewer file is closed the main app is not, I tend these days to right click save as any attachment, saves the extra few clicks of the mouse.

Have no idea why but when closed Excel stays open, actually happens to me in Word too as while the viewer file is closed the same file is open in main Word app.

This user on a corporate network using Exchange Server at all? but also happens to me at home and I'm not on Exchange Server.

3. karakangaroo

karakangaroo Private E-2

I ran across this thread, having the same issue. After running the Office Diagnostics with no luck and no replies to any forums on this issue, I tried the simplest thing I could find.

In Outlook 2007, go to:
    - Tools
    - Trust Center
    - Attachment Handling
    - Attachment and Document Previewers

I unchecked the one I was having an issue with (Excel), closed out of Outlook completely, reopened and tested again. It finally worked. I went back in to the settings, and found that it re-checked itself. Hey, whatever. This is why I still have a job in I.T. Thank you Microsoft!

Good Luck!

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Is it still working right after re-checking itself?

Seems to be some inconsistency among user experiences with this. I just tested previewing an Excel attachment in Outlook and it previewed without launching a separate Excel window. I've made no change to default settings in Trust Center.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds