RegSeeker no longer works

Discussion in 'Software' started by Denise_M, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I've been using RegSeeker for the past year or so and I've loved it. Today, when it reached 21 items that need to be removed from the registry, I received a message that states, "indice de liste hors limits." I went to babelfish translations and it basically said that I was over the limits. RegSeeker used to remove hundreds of registry items from my pc in one run. So I highlighted the 21 items and clicked "delete" and ran RegSeeker again. It listed the same 21 items and I again received the "indice de liste hors limits" message.

I uninstalled RegSeeker, deleted the original program, and downloaded a new program from here, installed it and ran it. When it hit the same 21 items, it again gave me the "indice de liste hors limits" message.

Is there a specific reason that RegSeeker is now doing this and is there something that I can do so that it'll work again?

Denise

2. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I've searched the forums for other posts regarding RegSeeker giving the error message "indice de liste hors limits" and found this written by Kniht on 04-09-06:

This solution didn't work for me. RegSeeker quit working right after I downloaded and installed the new Microsoft updates. I did a system restore to a restore point that I made prior to installing the updates and RegSeeker worked fine again.

The last few updates have caused me a lot of problems. Three weeks ago, my pc died . . . it wouldn't completely boot. I booted into Safe Mode and uninstalled all the updates and my pc worked fine again.

Last week the updates caused my pc to drag along as if it were 15 yrs old and everything was choppy. I did another system restore to a point prior to the updates being installed and my pc worked fine again.

Today the new updates that I downloaded and installed caused RegSeeker to stop working and maybe other programs wouldn't have worked, but I didn't try to run any others to see. If it weren't for the fact that I wanted to spend today getting my pc in shape, which included running RegSeeker, I wouldn't have known that today's updates caused program(s) to stop working and it might have been too late for me to do a System Restore in a few weeks because all restore points prior to today would no longer have been in my pc.

What's going on with Microsoft's updates? All they're causing is serious problems for me!

Denise

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Security updates? set your auto update to allow you to choose when to install and don't use express install ..custom install so you can uncheck those that you don't want.

4. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Thanks Tim for responding. I shut off updates entirely. Since they come in bundles, I don't want to spend the time trying to find out which one might cause me problems and I might not know that one has done damage until it's too late. I know a number of people who've had problems with the recent updates and I'm wondering if Microsoft has lost it or is doing it on purpose, and I think both reasons are strong contenders for the blue ribbon.

Denise

5. TimW

Best defense is to create a restore point and then install one update (security updates are usually pretty safe) ...see if you have problems ...then do another.:)

6. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

There's no way to tell which update will cause a problem until it's installed and the damage might not show up for weeks when I want to run a program and it doesn't work properly or my pc keeps freezing, etc. I'm just happy that I created restore points prior to installing the updates.

Denise

7. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

UGH. We have it here, stop linking out. Geez.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2006
  8. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

As I said in my first post, I tried Dial-a-fix but it didn't help. My registry was ok before the new updates were installed. The registry had problems after the new updates were installed. The registry is ok again now that the new updates have been removed. The new updates caused the problem.

Trying each update at a time to see if it causes problems won't work for two reasons:

1. A problem might not arise immediately, but a month later when I want to run a program and it won't run, will I know the reason? I don't think I'd associate an update that I downloaded and installed a month earlier as the culprit. I was very lucky that I immediately wanted to run RegSeeker and that it didn't work. I would have lost the program if I hadn't, and I like how it keeps my pc running quickly.

2. Downloading and installing one update at a time and testing a number of programs to see if they still work would be extremely time consuming, tedious and it shouldn't be necessary. Microsoft should be trustworthy. It could take an entire day if the updates were as extensive as the ones that came out a couple of days ago. I'd rather do without them. I have many security programs installed in my pc that give me piece of mind without causing other programs not to run.

A couple of hours ago, I opened Media Player. a-squared immediately notified me that Media Player was trying to invisibly enter my pc through a back door. That's Microsoft for you. I checked it out and all my other players (Media Classic, VLC, RealPlayer, Core Media Player, WinAmp, etc) did nothing like that. I have Norton Anti-Virus, Windows Defender and Sygate firewall installed and running. I run AdAware, Spybot, BitDefender and Stinger on a regular basis and I keep them updated. I run PC onPoint, RegSeeker, and CrapCleaner every day. I might be opening myself up to risks by not installing Microsoft updates but they've already damaged my programs, reduced the speed of my pc down to a crawl, and have caused my pc not to boot up. If I was an extreme newbie, I wouldn't have thought to go into Safe Mode and delete the updates so that my pc would boot. I would have spent at least $100.00 for a tech to fix it. Balancing the risk that I'm taking by not installing Microsoft's updates on one hand and using other good security programs on the other hand, the other good security programs and other programs that I use wins hands down.

I think that Microsoft is and has been overstepping its bounds and I no longer trust them and I don't want them to have access to my pc.

Denise

9. TimW

Ahh..Norton, eh?

10. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Well, compared to McAfee that I used to have, it works much better.

If you know of another program that works better, I'm all ears.

11. TimW

12. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Hi!
    I'm not really trying to 'defend' Microsoft, but I too use RegSeeker and I get all my Windows Updates at the Microsoft Site. (I don't have auto update enabled.)
    The only ones I've 'turned down' were for .Net Framework and Windows Messenger.
    Reg Seeker has never stopped functioning properly for me.
    I have had no problems with other programs not working either.
    As for Media Player, there is a way to disable the update function for it, which may be what you are getting the 'backdoor' notices about.
    How to disable Automatic Updates with Windows Media Player
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278960#appliesto
    Maybe I'm just Lucky!
    (I agree with Tim about Norton....as do many.)
    ;)

13. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Thanks Toni, I disabled the automatic updates for Media Player a long time ago as well as under Privacy tab, Retrieve media information for CDs and DVDs from the Internet, Update my music Files by retrieving missing media information frm the internet, Send unique Player ID to content providers, Customer Experience Program, and Save file and URL history in the player. That's the reason I'm upset when a-squared gave me the message
    It has no reason to download any files to my pc, never mind doing it invisibly and through a back door.

I didn't buy Norton, I'm using a free 60 day trial. Prior to that, I used Avast but it conflicted with Sygate, and before that, I used McAfee, which I thought was useless.

Tim, thanks for the tips . . .

I'll probably definitely use them.

Denise

14. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I just started receiving a message from a-squared
    I Googled it and found that WgaTray.exe is Microsoft spyware. Not only that, but it slows down pc's. I rebooted so that I could delete the program when a-squared gave me the option again. Now my pc runs faster.

It might be taboo to put a url from another forum in a post here at MajorGeeks, but it's where I found the info when I Googled it and I found it very interesting and maddening.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16220001~mode=flat

Now I have another question that I hope someone can help me with.

I have svchost.exe in Startup in msconfig, in windows/system32 and in Windows/ServicePackFiles/i386.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056
    http://startup.networktechs.com/srch-svchost.exe.html

According to info I read, svchost.exe should only be found in System32 folder for XP and "should not normally figure in Msconfig/Startup or anywhere else."

Is svchost.exe a trojan/virus/spyware in msconfig/Startup and in Windows/ServicePackFiles/i386 and should I delete them or did I misread the pages?

Denise

15. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

16. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I downloaded and ran AVG, and I followed all the steps. It couldn't make floppy boot disks because it said that a file was missing when it was on the
    5th floppy. No viruses were found during the scan.

The reason I'm writing is because I've deleted all anti-virus programs that I had installed in my pc. I also have McAfee ActiveX NT, McAfee Virtual Technician Control Class and McAfee Command Line Scanner utility.pdf installed but the programs aren't listed in Add/Remove programs. Is there another way I can remove them?

Denise

17. TimW

Right slcik start / explore / find the folders and delete.
    :)
    Or do a search and then find in explorer.

18. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Ok, don't laugh. I knew I could delete them but I thought I should uninstall them first. Anyway . . .

AVG has updates for me and I'm trying to download them but no matter which folder I tell AVG to put the updates in, it tells me that there are no updates in that folder. Any ideas?

Denise

19. TimW

AVG does an automatic updating install ...you shouldn't have to tell it where to put the updates ....what is happening?

20. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I click on "search for updates" and it tells me that it has updates that need to be installed and asks me what folder to put them in. There's no automatic update folder, I guess. I tried to have them put the updates into the AVG folder and I tried creating a folder named AVG Updates, but the message that I receive says "There are no updates in that folder." The icon in my system tray is gray instead of the normal colors.

So far, I've fun a full scan using the following and the results:

Windows Defender: "No unwanted or harmful software detected. Your computer is running normally"

AVG: Everything was "okay"

SpyBot Search & Destory: No problems

AdAware: No infections

I had no problems listed under Special Removal Procedures.

I'm in the middle of Step 4 where I still need to download and run Highjack this and Kill2Me.

Denise

21. TimW

When AVG is grayed in the system tray ...right click and choose launch control center ..to bring it up and click on internal virus database ....then click on update ....should be automatic ...afterwards, click on scheduler and click scheduled tasks ...on each of the two, set them to whatever time you choose (mine are set to update at 2am, and run at 4am).:)

22. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I still get the same response . . . "No new update files could be found at the selected location." I didn't select the location. It opened up the file "AVG Free Edition" by itself. It's the folder that the program files were put when I unzipped AVG.

Denise

23. TimW

AVG doesn't download as a zip ....it's an exe.
    Where did you get this from? MG's?

24. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Delete the files you find in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\upd7bin

Then try to perform the update.

Steve

25. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi Tim,

I got the link from you, lol.

I followed normal installation instructions, all default.

A funny thing happened when I was sleeping last night. . . the icon in my tray is now in color. A spin-off of Murphy's Law: If something strange can happen, it will happen to me.

All of the scans that I ran yesterday

resulted in no infections, viruses, worms, trojans, malicious spyware, etc, so it seems that my original theory that the problem with the new Microsoft updates. They're damaging/hindering my programs/pc. I can't think of any other reason why my pc would have serious/semi-serious problems only after I download and install the updates, so I'm going to leave updates turned off.

Denise

26. TimW

One last suggestion ...put your xp disc in the drive ...exit out when it comes up ...then go to start / run / and type sfc /scannow .....will look for missing/corrupt files (will take a while to do).:)

27. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi Tim,

My pc finished:
    and then it rebooted. I didn't see it do anything, such as add a file. Was I supposed to?

I'd like to try making a Rescue Disk using AVG again but I don't see an option for it. Would you tell me how to do it?

Denise

28. TimW

Right click the AVG icon in the system tray ..bring up the controp center ...click services or control +f8.:)

29. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Well, I was finally able to make Rescue Disks. I ran sfc/ scannow 3 times and the third time was a charm, as they say. When I rebooted after the 3rd time, a light blue screen with "please wait . . . . . ." came up, so I knew something was different because it didn't do that the first 2 times.

It also solved another minor problem that I was having and wasn't going to worry about. When I used to boot up, the task bar on the bottom was a solid dark blue for about 10-15 seconds, with nothing on it. That started about 6 months ago. I have the option set for the silver bar. Now, when I boot up, the task bar is silver right away with my icons on it.

Thank you guys for all your help. . . it's more than appreciated!

Another question tho . . . My daughter's pc came with Windows XP Home already installed so she doesn't have the disk and she has tons of problems with her pc. Is there a way to do something like this with her pc?

Denise

30. TimW

Would call who ever you got the 'puter from and b*tch until they agree to send you a disk.
    Very difficult to do repairs without the disc.:mad: :mad:

Oh, You're more than welcome!!

31. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

She got the pc as a Christmas present almost 3 years ago. Her husband bought it for her, I think from Sears. It's a Compaq. She and her husband are both in the Army Reserves and have been deployed to Iraq for the next year and a half. I've been trying to work on hers a bit but not enough because of the probs I've been having with mine. I'll get to hers soon and run the scans and do what I did for mine to hers, but for Home edition.

Thanks again :)

Denise

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds