Best Free File Shredder

Discussion in 'Software' started by abbbbb99, Nov 16, 2012.

1. abbbbb99

abbbbb99 Private E-2

I am looking for a free file shredder. I know there are many out there (gary, ccleaner, tolvannen, powerquest free etc) and so wanted to get a view on which is good.

I had read somewhere that tolvannen (now taken over by heidi) is the best because it also erases the filenames. To elaborate, other shredders will shred the files but often leave many filename intact. So if an undelete utility is used, it would not be able to recover the content of the shredded files but could possibly see many filenames (with a corresponding status of unrecoverable). In many cases, even the filenames are something you would not like to be seen. But I read that tolvannen's even removes the filenames, so an undelete utility will not even be able to list the shredded files.

Any experiences / comments would be most helpful.

Thanks

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, abbbbb99, and welcome to MajorGeeks...

I've always used Eraser, which is apparently the alternative name for the Tolvannen program. Never had a problem with Eraser - can't see how you can go wrong with using it. There's also DBAN, but that utility is more for complete drive wiping.

3. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I've used Eraser for years.

5. SyncMaster

SyncMaster Private E-2

Eraser is a good option.

6. abbbbb99

abbbbb99 Private E-2

Thanks to all for your help and support. Really appreciate that.
    I had a specific question regarding filenames of shredded files. After shredding files, If you use an "unerase" program, would you be able to see the filenames of some shredded file (even though chance of recovery may be nil) ? I don't want even the filenames to be seen. Any experience on Eraser, or CCleaner or Glary's Utilities or any others for that matter would be welcomed.

Thanks again

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

rodyroon, the original poster was looking for Free as he mentioned in the first sentence.
    Trialware is not free.

8. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds