Java Platform SE Binary sucking up 25% of CPU

Discussion in 'Software' started by Matthew Tennyson Tucson, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Something is definatley wrong. I know just enough about computer systems to be dangerous, but here's what I've got.

Acer laptop, runing Windows 7. Worked great for a while, then I noticed that my CPU was constantly running. During the last six months, my teenage nephew had access to my laptop and I know he downloaded some crap to my computer, such as IMVU and other such stuff. After he left, I deleted it all, but I think one of his programs left me with a present or two.

Went to task manager and found the following:

java.exe * Java(TM) Platform SE Binary

I've tried all my in my little knowlege to fix it, but the thing is worse than the Energizer Bunny. It just keeps on going!

First, I deleted and re-installed Java. Didn't stop it from auto-starting at boot-up.

Next tried CCleaner to remove it via the tools. It states that program class imon is at start up, wscript.exe "C:/ProgramData/Application Data/Java/jre6/imon.js"

I delete it from CCleaner, reboot and it's back (delete, not disable).

I tried to find that path in my computer and there is no folder for Application Data. ????

Next, I go to msconfig and find that same line under the startup menu. I delete it from there, then save it. I'm prompted to re-boot which I do. Then I re-open msconfig ... and it's back.

Finally, in the task manager, I right click on the program, select "open file location" and see that this is running from c:username/AppData/Roaming/Java/jre6/bin. Which is wierd because I've deleted java from my computer!

So, I delete the entire file folder Java from Roaming. That "kills" the program in the task manager.

I then close everything down, reboot ... and it's back.

I am completely stumped and I know it's probably something easy, but ...

2. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. kench

kench Private First Class

java is a sevice...to shut it off you will have to go into services and either set it to manual or diable it...but that's for win xp...not sure about win 7 services...but java is a service...

4. cipher

There is an exe file that runs that service he wants to delete/uninstall. JavaRA removes the runtime and definitions properly for you.

http://singularlabs.com/software/javara/
    has the particulars, but use the Major Geeks link I posted above for the download...

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Try this. Open CCleaner click on Tools then Startup and look for java entries and disable them from startup.

6. Tried that, didn't work. When I had JavaRA download new version, the status bar takes a few seconds to go all green, but then it freezes. The cursor says it's "still thinking" ie, the little blue circle.

I rebooted the system, went to task manager and manually shut down the java.exe that was running, then tryed it again with JavaRA. Still same result.

Then I noticed that I didn't even have Java installed any more (I deleted it last night, got frustrated, shut down w/o reinstalling). So, I reinstalled Java, then manually shut off the java.exe that was running, then tried JavaRA again.

Same result.

I am not running any other programs except for explorer (to get to this web page) and MS Outlook. Latest version of Explorer, Outlook 2003.

Java.exe is running as soon as I boot up the computer, though. Even if I start the computer and don't open any programs but the task manager, java.exe is still sucking up 25% of my CPU.
    ???

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  7. Already tried that. Once I reboot, the dumb thing has re-inserted itself into the start up que.

8. UPDATE:

Ok, when I get frustrated, I sometimes resort to "brute force". What I really wanted to do was throw the laptop in my pool, but...

So, after I reinstalled Java, I did a search on my C drive. Found in the Java folder a subfolder with the imon and jre6/imon.js

According to the folder, it was created back in August. Interesting. Before I reinstalled Java, it didn't exist, so something recreated the folder after I reinstalled Java.

Anyways, I deleted the folder after making sure that all the files and subfolders were from back in August.

Now when I restart my computer, java.exe does not autrun! Yea! I do, however, get a popup window saying that Windows Script Host cannot find the file (that's because I deleted the sucker!)

So, how to I make the Windows Script Host not try to find it every time I reboot the computer?

9. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Which file? Java.exe? Windows Scripting Host should not depend on JRE.

Do you actually use Java (JRE)? There are actually very few programs and web sites that use Java.

10. When I re-boot now, I get a small popup window.

It says it's from Windows Script Host and the messgae is:

Cannot find script file "C:/ProgramData/ApplicationData/Java/jre6/bin/imon.js"

The reason it cannot find it is that I deleted the stupid folder jre6!!!!

Where can I edit Windows Script Host so it doesn't do this on bootup?

And this might be a stupid question, but what is Windows Script Host?

Thank you all for your wonderful help!!!!

11. I have no clue what JRE is. How does that differ from Java? If I deleted and then re-installed Java, does that affect JRE? I don't see that in my programs list, so is it burried and hidden on my computer somewhere?

12. cipher

Here is the difference:

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/techinfo.xml

The developer tool JDK contains JRE and other components for developers. JRE is what the average user is running.

I don't know why anyone not developing java apps would have the JDK on their machine, most would have JRE alone. The tool I gave a link to completely and properly removes that.

13. I suspect it was my nephew who did that on my system. He was really into IMVU and making differet things with "skins". Honestly, a lot of it was over my head, and was a colossal waste of time. He said he was making money at it, but when we sat down and looked at it with him (he didn't want to get a job, said he could make $$$ this way), he was only making $40 or so per week.

Ha!

Anyways, I think he originally loaded it on my computer, as well as a lot of other crap. I did a lot of deleting when he left (moved in with a friend who wouldn't "bug" him about getting a job. You're 18 now!!!!! Man up!!!!)

I re-loaded Java SE and reboted, got same message. Deleted Java SE through control panel, reboted, got same message.

Issue is that Windows Script Manager has been directed to look for and run that on start up. At this point, I need to figure out how to access Windows Script Manager and delet this line so it stops looking for "/imon.js" at statup.

14. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

15. Thanks! I've already found the folders and such, but I will definately keep this handy for future. Looks a lot easier than what I was doing!

Still need to figure out where to find the Windows Script Manager, though. What is it, anyways? Like I said before, I know enough about computers to be dangerous, but that's why I'm just an E-2 private.

:)

16. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Windows Script Host: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Script_Host - it is basically the interpreter that allows running scripts on Windows.

However, I still do not understand why this would look for anything Java, unless you have a script in your startup that looks for Java. Can you provide a list of your startup items? (CCleaner can do that very nicely for you; it can put the list into a .txt file.)

Once you have resolved this, you may not actually need Java. B.t.w. JRE means Java Runtime Environment, and it is used when you run any Java-based program or visit a website that uses Java.

17. Yes HKCU:Run imon Microsoft Corporation wscript.exe "C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Java\jre6\bin\imon.js"
    Yes HKCU:Run ISUSPM Startup Macrovision Corporation "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\ISUSPM.exe" -startup
    No HKCU:Run Skype Skype Technologies S.A. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /minimized /regrun
    Yes HKCU:Run SpybotSD TeaTimer Safer Networking Limited C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    No HKCU:Run Steam "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -silent
    Yes HKLM:Run Adobe ARM Adobe Systems Incorporated "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    No HKLM:Run APSDaemon "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe"
    No HKLM:Run CloudCare Bsecure Technologies, Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Bsecure\BsecTray.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run ETDCtrl ELAN Microelectronics Corp. %ProgramFiles%\Elantech\ETDCtrl.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run HotKeysCmds Intel Corporation C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run IgfxTray Intel Corporation C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run IntelliPoint Microsoft Corporation "c:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run ISUSScheduler Macrovision Corporation "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
    No HKLM:Run iTunesHelper "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run MSC Microsoft Corporation "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
    Yes HKLM:Run Persistence Intel Corporation C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
    No HKLM:Run QuickTime Task Apple Inc. "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    Yes HKLM:Run RtHDVCpl Realtek Semiconductor C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RAVCpl64.exe -s
    No HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched Sun Microsystems, Inc. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    Yes Startup Common Microsoft Office.lnk Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE

From CCleaner on my startup tab, saved as a .txt file.

It's easy to see that item #1 is what is doing this, but ...

As I stated very early on in this thread, when I delete this line in the startup using CCleaner, it takes two or three tries to delete, then I close CCleaner but when I open up CCleaner again, it's back!!!!

When I say it takes two or three tries, I mean that literally. I highlight it, click on delete. It gives me that "are you sure?" pop up, I say yes, then the popup closes, and the line is still there. I do it a second time, popup and all, and it's still there. I do it a third time, and now it doesn't show on the list. Close CCleaner, reopen and that line is back.

It's like the dang (I want to use harsher language, but will refrain) thing has etched itself permanently into the system and I can't touch it. When I try through CCleaner, it ignors my command at first, then it just laughs at me. ARGH!!!!

18. cipher

Try running regedit. Start>Run>Regedit

Go to HKEY Local Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and Run Once

Can you make a list/screenshot of what is there?

19. Here they are as .pdf files

Attached Files:

20. cipher

21. Yes, I do have javaw.exe. Found it in two places. One is in the java folder, the second copy is in a program I use quite a bit for business.

I did go and check out that site you posted a link to, and my program manager does not show that I am constantly running an update program.

I have no idea at all what a bit torrent client or Azureus is.

Are those related to the Windows Script Client which is constantly searching for imon.js at statup?

That's really the issue here. What is WSC? How do I edit it so that it does not look for imon.js at startup?

22. cipher

You cannot edit WSH, it is a program that executes scripts on your machine.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188135

imon.js? Is this spelling correct? I cannot find any reference to it on the web...

23. I "deleted" it, but it was in my recycle bin. I've attached it so you can see what it is. I had to save it as a .txt file

I have no clue ...

If this references something else I've deleted, I can look for it in my recycle bin as well and post it here for your perusal.

Attached Files:

• imon.txt
      File size:
      143 bytes
      Views:
  24. cipher

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds