wirless printing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dickknee, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Dickknee

Dickknee Private E-2

Hi can anyone please offer some advice, I recently changed the security setting from WEP to WPA-WPA2 and password on my Thompson TG585 v8 . And since then my printer canon Mp640 wireless drops out everyday or so.When I use Canon IJ Network tool cant connect I get message
    >There are ports that cannot be used with their current settings. If I reboot the modem I am able to wireless print but only for a day or so and then drops out again. I had no problem printing with wireless prior to changing the modem security settings and password . Thanks

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hi Dickknee and welcome to MGs.

Off hand, I would try the following -
    Check for any updates to printer software from manufacturer.
    Check for any updated drivers for your network adapter.
    Check for any updated firmware for your router.
    If any or all of these are available, update them and see if this cures your problem.
    If not, post back with more information - Operating system, service pack level, any other security software installed (firewall, anti-virus, etc.) and we can see what we can do.

3. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Have you tried deleting the old printer connection and creating a new one?

4. Dickknee

Dickknee Private E-2

thanks for your suggestions guys,I will try them out but I have noticed the printer name in the print properties was different so have change to all correspond also I am trying share printer, and at the moment its working.

5. bluesplayer

bluesplayer Private E-2

I had the same problem. I solved it by uninstalling all printers and programs and then reinstalling my wireless printer using the disc that came with it. I haven't experienced any difficulties at all since the reinstall.

6. Dickknee

Dickknee Private E-2

Thanks I tried reinstalling all canon software but this did not help. Although when wireless printing is down I get message There are ports that cannot be used with their current settings, So for those that are interested I had a look at print properties -Ports ,and add new port and there is 3 options input IP address, MAC address and auto detect, I had been trying the first and third option for some time to no avail, but then I eventually use the MAC address and wireless printer has been holding for a week now so it all seems good. Maybe some one can explain why IP address would not hold and the MAC address does? Given the 3rd option of auto detect picks up the correct IP address and also MAC address. Thanks for any comments.

7. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

If your wireless printer is set to get it's IP address from the router automatically you have the situation where it can change depending on the router set up for length of lease time. If you set up the printer with a static IP address, you would not have this situation and could set up the port for the specific IP address.
    The auto detect works because the MAC is fixed so the port goes to that MAC all the time. Same situation if you set the static IP on the printer.

8. Dickknee

Dickknee Private E-2

Thanks I had set the wireless printer to a static IP address on the router but again would only work using the MAC address on the ports settings. Setting the ports to IP address and auto detect does not work. So I am still a bit lost on this one. Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds