Computer stuck on system restore for 22 hours

Discussion in 'Software' started by aces, Dec 8, 2012.

1. aces

aces Private E-2

Hi, I hope that this is the correct place to post. My computer has been stuck at "please wait while your windows files and settings are being restored System restore is restoring the registry" for over 22 hours. I have a Toshiba with Windows 7. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Is it still running or did the computer freeze ??

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

I don't think you have any choice but to turn it off and hope it reverts the changes. I would just hold the power button in until it shuts down and then restart and read the message. It should be something like "unable to complete the restore. No changes have been made to your computer."

Then from in Windows do a chkdsk to see if there was a problem with the file system that prevented the restore from working and try the restore again (or maybe try a different restore point.)

To run chkdsk, go to Computer and right-click C: drive and select Properties. Under the Tools tab hit the Check Now button. In the next window leave the first box ticked and hit Start. It will schedule for next boot up so reboot and let it run. Then try a different restore point.

4. aces

aces Private E-2

The computer is still running. Every once in a while it starts making a clicking sound and the motor revs up. Then it quiets down again. The little circle on the right never stops moving

5. aces

aces Private E-2

Thank you both. The system restored correctly this time. Is there anything that I should do or run now?

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

If everything is working then I think you are good. :)

7. aces

aces Private E-2

So far so good. Thanks again

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds