Network Printer Stopped Printing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LeoBloom, Jun 27, 2006.

1. LeoBloom

LeoBloom Private E-2

Hello guys,

I've had this problem for a while but I never took the time to solve it until the person who actually uses the laptop started getting on my case. Anyway, I have a Linksys WRT54GS router on which I have an optimum online connection and one desktop connected and laptop wirelessly connected. I also have a HP deskjet 842c connected to my desktop computer.

A long while ago I set up a type of network, or at least I think I did. I don't remember how I can about it but I do remember that my desktop computer name is "FIRST" and my laptop is "SECOND." I can verify that the network works because I can do "net send first blah blah" and viceversa. The printer setup on my laptop was done by windows and it goes by the name of "Auto hp deskjet 840c series on FIRST."

When I first had this set-up, everything worked perfectly. I could print wirelessly on a laptop, provided that the "FIRST" computer was on since the printer was connected directly to that. Then for some strange reason, I couldn't print anything on my laptop anymore. I'd send something to print, and I'd see my wireless card working, but then in 6 seconds or so, I get the message that the printer failed to print the documents.

The only thing I thought that checked so far was whether the network connections on both sides had printer and file sharing checked. They both did and I can still check files on either computer through either computer, but the printer still doesn't work from the laptop.

Does anyone here know where I can even start to fix this problem?

Thanks

Leo

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

The desktop not only needs to be on, it also needs to be logged on (if you have more than one user on it).
    Otherwise, delete the printer on the laptop and then add it back ....see if it is seen in the network ....(may have to add the drivers to the laptop).

3. LeoBloom

LeoBloom Private E-2

Wow TY, I readded the printer, apparently it wasn't set to be shared somehow...

Thanks Alot

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds