Best free antivirus for 512 mb Ram

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nick T, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

A friends needs a free AV, but he's only running on 512mb of RAM. Any ideas other than MSE and AVG that won't slow him down ??

2. MadMal

MadMal Corporal

I do think MSE is the best option if you want "set and forget"

I have 1GB RAM and use Comodo Internet Security (Firewall, Defence+, AV, Sandbox)
    I find it very lite. It can get a bit heavy when it is updating but I think most AV are like that plus it doesn't take long.
    I don't have any benchmark figures to offer but the screenshots show memory usage under my usual conditions.
    The first is with just FireFox working (cfp.exe and cmdagent.exe)
    The second is with FireFox plus I used CIS to scan a folder filled with portable software tools (cavscan.exe)

If you do decide to try CIS, when you first launch the installer click on Customize Installer then you can decide if you want to install the free trial of GeekBuddy and Comodo Dragon browser or not.

I also use CleanMem and find it makes a big difference when you have a small amount of RAM
    http://majorgeeks.com/CleanMem_d5993.html

Attached Files:

3. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

I use Comodo and CleanMem too MadMal and find that it's a good combination. He just really wants to get some ideas that way he has a multiple choice. I told him I would post here because he would get the best ideas here at MGs.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Go with MSE.

5. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

The two that continually get best rating for low system impact are Avast! Free and Avira Free

You can see on the latest report from AV-Comparatives: Performance Tests - November 2011 that Avast and Avira were two of the highest rated after testing.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I ran Avira on a system with little RAM. I had to remove it because it really dragged down the computer. I would not recommend running it unless you have at least 1GB of RAM in XP and perhaps 2GB in Windows 7.

7. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Any expert thoughts on Comodo Antivirus ??

8. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I agree with plodr, got with MSE. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds