Outlook Express server settings not "remembered"

Discussion in 'Software' started by PioneerXI, Jan 1, 2007.

1. PioneerXI

PioneerXI Private E-2

Oh the joy of PC carnage.

On Nov 4 my PC motherboard crashed and was shipped back to the manufacturer under warranty. My system, a P4 on Win XP was originally built in Australia with an Asus P4800S motherboard. Now that I live in the USA, it took some time for Asus to authorize the repair....but I digress.

Motherboard was reinstalled and all applications except Outlook Express 6 work. Outlook Express is "unable" to remember the outgoing mail settings after a 24 hours period. It remembers the incoming, but not the out, changing from pop.etc.net to 127.0.0.0. When I go into the account configuration and manually input it again, it still won't pick up my mail off the server. A reboot of the system doesn't help either, I physically have to delete the account settings and add new email settings, the same settings that were previously applied. It then picks up the backlog of mail.

I thought that McAfee may have not picked up a virus so I went to a system restore point prior to the motherboard failure. Alas, the entire PC it is unable to restore to any settings prior to the motherboard failure.

Suggestions on the email first before prophecies on the doom of my PC.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Check the settings in McAfee's Spam Killer if installed ... this may help in these settings and setup for OE https://support.dell.com/support/to.../dsn/en/document?c=aw&docid=299926&l=en&s=gen

or if not Installed disable McAfees Email Scanning option and set the server settings and reboot.. do they still stick, if so good.

If not yo umay have to disable each one of your security applications, spamblockers etc to find the culprit.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds